Needle breaking

I need your advice. I love my Millie except when I'm quilting through several layers where corners of seams come together. She plugs along if I move slowly but even being quite careful I broke two needles on this last quilt and then my husband had to retime the machine. GRRRRR! Does anyone else have this problem and how do you handle it?

Julie,

I'm sorry. I don't have this problem on my millie. I can even use a 3.5 and go through many seams. When I did the paper piece guild quilt there were some that had 8 layers and my machine didn't have a problem. I'm wondering if it is because you are sewing too slow or pulling before the needle exits completely. Maybe the sandwich is too tight. Just some thoughts!

Julie,

In addition to Heidi and Liam's hints, also check the height of your hopping foot.

When we set the machines at the factory, it's now set to accommodate much of today's thinner cotton and cotton blend batting. When the needle is in the lowest position, you should be able to slide a business card under the foot.

However, if you're working on a quilt with bulky seams, it may need to be raised slightly. If the foot is too low, the foot will push the bulky fabric around instead of hopping on top of it. When that happens, it pushes it just enough that the needle will penetrate the fabric, but as soon as the needle begins its upstroke and the foot begins to raise up, the fabric "springs back" and pulls the needle with it. That's when the needle can often break.

If you change the foot height, just a little is all that's needed...maybe the thickness of two business cards or a "dime". Be SURE to change it back if you then move to thinner batting again.

Good luck!

great information Dawn! I'm putting this one in my favorites.

One more question though, if the hopping foot is too low can that also cause thread breakage? I'm using Rainbows on top, SoFine in the bobbin, size 4 needle, (new needle for this project) and quilting through thick layers.... 100% cotton quilt top, soft & brite batting with minky backing. I have also slowed way down and loosened the top tension. Having some issues with thread breakage.... not alot, but enough to make it annoying. Tension is great, I have pretty stitches!

Makes a heavier quilt, but I live in Canada.... what can I say?! It's cold up here! Love love love the minky!

Sharon,

Usually the top thread breakage is a tension issue rather than hopping foot issue. If the foot is too low, you'll find that it isn't really "hopping" over the fabric, but is plowing the fabric instead. The machine may also be harder to move across the fabric.

In addition to loosening your top tension, be sure to back off the bobbin tension. Take more pressure off the top until it stops breaking, and then also remove bobbin tension so that you don't end up with the top thread on the quilt's back. So Fine is going to pull on the Rainbows harder, and it's got a long way to pull it through those warm Canadian layers:)!

Archived