BEGINNER - Question re: Photo Memory Quilt

First of all, I am a BEGINNER at this so I may not use all the correct terminology. This is my first time trying anything like this. :)

I am making a "quilt" to give to my mom on the 1 year anniversary of my brother's death. I have taken some of his jeans and made a quilt/blanket out of it. No pattern, just random pieces taht I've sewn here and there. I scanned in various photos of him throughout the years and printed them onto Colorfast Fabric sheets. But I'm not sure the best

way to attach these to the quilt. Also, how could I make a border around each photo? Please remember that I am a beginner.

Thanks so much for any advise.

Kellie

Kellie, what a sweet, kind expression of love to do for your mom. I am sure that it be a great healing for you also. there are several ways you could finish this top and I am sure that wonderfully talented women that belong to this group will give you other ideas. You could actually use the photograps as the border around the quilt, you could make it into a crazy quilt and scatter the photographs throughout or you could even make a "window" around each photograph It is hard to really give you good advice without seeing what you have pieced together so far. If you can could you post a picture? Not aht I am an expert by any means but I just finished a quilt and ended up using the photographs as the border and it turned out much better than I thought. I will watch for your photo.

Blessings to you as you go through this process.

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a photo of what I have so far. Believe me, its crooked in alot of places but I did the best I could with the time that I have. :) I haven't done anything with the photos other than just lay them on top, just to give you an idea of what I was thinking of doing. I saw a quilt on a website that did something similar and just sewed around the edges of the pictures with some type of special stitch. That seems like it might be the easiest solution for me, although I don't know what stitch would be the sturdiest..

The material I have for the border and backing is red, kind of looks like a design you would find on a bandana, but its not. I like the idea of having the photos on the border, but because all of my photos are different sizes, not sure that would work.

Thanks for all your help.

post--13461897868103_thumb.jpg

What a blessing this will be for your mother. I assume you have printed the pictures on fabric sheets so that they are ready to sew. If not, e-mail me and I will help you with that first step.

It looks good the way you have the pictures arranged so I would suggest you use a 2-sided fusible web like Steam-A-Seam2 (or something similar) to fuse the pictures onto the various squares. Then you should sew around them using a satin stitch or tight zig zag so that they will permanently stay in place. Then it's ready to quilt. When using denim I recommend a very light batting so that it doesn't get too heavy.

Your project is definitely a labor of love and I wish you the very best with it. Your mother will never notice any imperfections so don't worry. It will be wonderful. Let us know if you need any other assistance.

Best Wishes,

Wonderful! My sister passed away a while back and I keep thinking my mom needs something like this.

While we are on the subject, how do you quilt over the pictures or do you?? I have a t-shirt quilt to quilt that has some blocks that are picture transfers onto fabric. I read that it leaves a hole when you quilt over it , is that true. What do you do??

Mary Beth

I am in the process of a comission of a similar nature. I am putting fusible on the back of the pics, then using a wave rotary cutter I cut them around the edge and fuse them on hear and there. Then when I quilt I will quilt the edges but not into the iimportant parts of the pics. I will also use a poly batt so it can be quilt farther apart. I will post a picture in a day or two when it's ready to quilt.

To answer the question regarding the T-Shirt transfers and if the hole closes up once its been quilted. No, its a perment thing and you just need to sort of plan on it being such.

I have quilted T-Shirt quilts for others and some prefer to have the transfer areas left open and that's fine and others prefer the stippling or edge to edge to just go right over the transfers....which is easier for us quilters, but I need to keep a bottle of "sewers aid" handy as the needle sometimes sticks in the plastic transfers and breaks the thread. If I keep it lubed up it glides better and makes me happier.

Some of the really rubbery transfers leave bigger holes than just the silk screened ones, but they also have a hole and its noticable. After washing it closes up some, but not completely.

I like Jean's idea and your quilt looks just right the way you have the pictures laid out. Thank you so much for posting it. Having lost both of my brothers, I know my mom would have loved to have had something like this as a memory. I use photos in all of my quilts I do for my grandkids. I use photo transfer and do a regular block usually. These are the blocks I SID instead of any quilting on because I have been afraid I would mess them up. I think if you used red thread on some of the stitching to bring the border color into the quilt with a zigzag or satin stitch it would look really sharp.

Please keep us updated. we will anxiously await the finished photo:)

my first one was done with a Bubble Jet when that was all we had to use....okay this is dating my quilt by a few years,but that is okay.

I will have to turn this twin size quilt into a wallhanging...it was our 25th wedding anniversay quilt and it has pictures from our first 25 yrs on it...

The only draw back that I have experienced is that I can't wash the quilt in a machine as it will possibily rub off the transfers....I can't dry clean it as it will remove the transfers totally. And heaven forbid if I touch a warm to hot iron to any of the transfers as they will remove or smear.

If you can, I would redo it all with a fabric transfer sheets. Yes, they are a bit more costly, but you can at least launder it and use it. This one will never be used as functional quilt. :( It was to have been my hubby's present, now he can't use it.

I have made memory quilts for my family reunion for about 5 years now. I have used the bubble jet set and have never had any problems. I did transfer some pictures and then washed them to see the results before ever making my first quilt. Most people don't intend to use these quilts as they are so beautiful and usually people just want to show them. I have one I made for myself and one for my mothers 80th birthday. My family just about fights every year when I bring the quilt in. Not really bragging but they are pretty.

Rita,

I have had great success with a product called Printed Treasures. I have used several different types of photo transfer sheets, but I like these the best. With a bubble jet printer, it helps if you heat set the picture first. You can use a pressing cloth and a dry iron or do what I do, throw it in the dryer by itself for five minutes or so. Try a sample piece and then, after it cools, try wetting it and see if that works for you. Because there are so many different brands of printers and ink cartridges, there is no one perfect solution. You just need to test and see what works best for you.

Colleen

Hi Barb,

No, she did not want the pictures quilted, they were small.

I will ask her what product she used for the photo's as they were high quality fabrics & I really loved the look & feel. ;)

Did you get your CQ yet??:cool:

Archived