Thimbleberries House and Garden

Sounds like that group needs a handout on how to correctly apply borders...I just had one that must have been just shy of a ruffled curtain. I really think most people don't know that they need to measure, they just sew the border on and then cut off what is left over at the end....piano keys is my solution!

Beth,

I quilted on this summer and the borders were not wavy. I was SHOCKED! But I have nicknamed this customer the stepford piecer. She also had perfectly ironed seams, not a single thread hanging off the back and all her points were perfect. YIKES!

I have 3 more to quilt after the beginning of the year and they are all wavy. I have not even started piecing mine, but at least it is not a UFO. It may however be a project never started.

I enjoyed the first one that I did. It was custom and I had a blast quilting that house.

I'd love to see some of the quilting you ladies did on that quilt, to give me some ideas. Maybe in January I will pull mine out and quilt it.

I saw a few that had flowers embroidered in the windowsill boxes and a house number embroidered on the door, and a few little extra touches that made the quilt more interesting. I need to do something like that on my quilt before quilting it.

The longarmer who did some for my guild member friends just did a panto. I forget which one, but she felt that custom was not needed and a panto would be just fine. I'm glad to hear you did custom, as that is what I want to do on mine. The panto was fine, but did not enhance the piecing and overall design of the quilt...IMHO.

Oh I had fun on the ones i did as i knew the ladies. Quilted a window box with flowers and vines for one who loves gardening, put different siding and shingles on each and one I even quilted a pie in the window as the woman loved to bake pies! She loved that.

If the customer doesn't want to pay for custom i have suggested half custom. I just meandered the large borders and then custom quilted the center blocks. That is a great compromise on this quilt as the fabrics in the border are so busy you don't really see the quilting.

Sandra, I have pictures on my blog of four of them, one in March, two in June and one Sept, if you want to see.

I am the Thimbleberries leader at my LQS and I have to say that the patterns do not do a good job of instructing how to correctly measure and apply borders. I teach my clubs the 'correct' way to measure, pin and sew on borders, but if the leader does not expand on what is written and give good border instructions, quilters can easily get it wrong.

Also, some years the fabric specs do not call for enough fabric to cut the borders on the lengthwise grain. I usually buy extra to do them on the lengthwise grain, and tell people how much that is should they want to spend the extra to be able to cut their borders that way, but often the pattern calls for crosswise cutting.

Just a couple of reasons why you might be seeing so many wavy borders on the Thimbleberries quilts.

Sandra,

One of my friends has some pictures of the H&G quilt that she did. It is where I got some of the inspiration for the one I did this summer. There are multiple post on her blog about this quilt, but here is a link to the last post about this quilt.

http://bethanyquilts.blogspot.com/2009/07/quilting-aroundlast-pics-of-epic.html

The one that I did is pictured on my blog as well. I did it in August. My customer did 2 of these quilts. The first one was quilted with a panto by another APQSer and is pretty. The nice thing about this quilt is that it can look good with either a panto or custom depending on what the customer is looking for. The borders are really busy so the idea of custom in the middle and an allover freehand of the borders is good.

Archived