Thread question

Yesterday I was finishing the blue star quilt and changed thread from King Tut small blue spool to a cone of papyrus 972. I had the same Aurifil (piecing cotton weight) in the bobbin for both colors. The cone thread kept breaking almost always on the way back to the spine on the feathers I was doing. I had done feathers with the blue and didn't have a problem in doing over 32 16-inch diamonds. So I changed the 972 cone and put on a small spool of 971 and was able to do the full border without any breaking.

Any ideas? I worked with the tension and that didn't make much difference. I changed the needle twice, and of course rethreaded more than once. Bobbin too.

Is cone thread that much different than the small spools?

BTW This is on George.

PS: Pictures of the quilt coming later today or tomorrow in a different thread.

The thread is the same, however, the large cone is cross-wound and the small spools are not. This may require you to loosen your tension or use a spool holder for cross-wound threads. I use both types of King-Tut (spool and cone) successfully in my Millennium, I just change the spool holder accordingly. I hope this helps!!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Hi Madelyn:

I'm a George owner too (and sometimes have a struggle with King Tut). I can't explain your troubles this week but I can recommend an accessory that has helped me a lot. I use the large cones on George's vertical holder with little trouble but often had breakage issues with smaller spools & delicate threads (metallics & monofilament etc). I purchased a Harley spool holder (about $50 from John on this forum) which has an adhesive pad and just sticks onto George's head. It easily holds the small spools and, because it is horizontal AND shortens the thread path, those threads now feed just fine. If you search for Hartley Spool holder in this forum, there is a photo of one mounted onto Lynne Drennan's George in CA. Good luck and happy holiday...Nancy in Tucson

Archived