occasional loose stitch

MarieBrewer

What is the cause of just one stitch being raised when stitching along. The bobbin seems fine and so does the top thread but occasionally (especially w/cotton) I will have just one loose stitch appear on the top. I can usually scratch the bobbin thread and tighten it but I can't figure out the cause. Does this happen to anyone else? I have tightened the top thread but this usually causes it to break. Thanks for any help.

Marie,

Make sure you've put a small piece of batting into the first thread guide directly above the spool. Since cotton exits the spool erratically, it can sometimes "whiplash" and transfer that sag in the thread path all the way to the tension disks. When the slack reaches the disks, for just an instant the thread doesn't ride between the disks firmly until the thread path tightens up again.

I also have the piece of batting as Dawn describes. I also do this for my turbo winder.

Over time, for the cotton thread (Signature, King Tut, Valdani) I have discovered that running my thread through all three loops and loosening my tension disk seems to eliminate the top thread loopies on the back. I don't have thread breaks and the tension looks good.

At last an explanation for why this has occurred for me. Only with King Tut. I have the batting in the guide above the cone holder, but many of my King Tut threads are on the small spools I use from the front.

Any suggestions on how to stop the "whiplash" from the front holders?

I have a couple of the ceramic fishing "rod eyes" that are stopping the whip lashing I was having between take up lever and first pigtail. Do I need to put them somewhere else too?

Lyn

Archived