pattern boards vs. pantos?

Panto pros and cons--

Pros-they are inexpensive and there are a zillion designs to choose from--even those you make yourself!

Cons--They have a learning curve (to stay on the line) and you will find some are too dense/not dense enough/boring/confusing as to direction to trace.

Pattern board pros and cons--

Pros--easy peasey-you follow the design that is cut into the plastic board by using a stylus that is attached to your machine head.

Cons--the boards are pricey compared to paper pantos. The stylus set-up is pricey as well. One brand of stylus won't fit other brands of boards, so separate styluses and brackets may be necessary. The selection of boards is limited compared to pantos, but several companies will do special orders/requests without an extra charge.

They both work the same way--following/tracing the design from one edge to the other and advancing to the next row.:)

When I started my business 2 years ago I couldn't follow a panto very well except the easy ones. So I ordered several Cicle Lords boards and that made me look professional early on. Check out their website to see all of the possiblities: http://www.loriclesquilting.com/

I love using them especially on problem quilts with alot of fullness. I can reach across and smooth the fabric as I quilt which I can't do using a panto. Using a stylus saves you from having to keep your eye on a panto.

You still have to keep track of which direction you are going...even with the pattern boards. But, for me, I find them easier to use. My outcome is nicer with the boards than the pantos, in my opinion.

But, there is still a learning curve. You have to keep the stylus to the outside edge of the design and move in a continuous sweep in order for the design to look smooth. It is still possible to appear jerky with pattern boards. I usually buy 2 pattern boards and leapfrog them. Instead of $16-20 for a panto..I spend $80-90 for 2 boards through RnS or Urbanelementz. But, no paper to tear...and my kids can use the boards just as easily as I can. :) So...more use out of the designs I have chosen.

post--13461903008285_thumb.jpg

That would be great Janna. I would love to meet you. :) Where South do you go?

No, Sven does not hire out. He has been asked to make more quilts by his favorite teacher though. She loves his work. AND the smile on his face when he shows them at school! He is now 10 and wants me to piece the quits so he can quilt them. He prefers quilting to piecing. :D

Archived