Problems with wonky stitches on ultimate I

verylazydaisy

Hi all,

I have a used ultimate I. A friend came over, showed me how to thread it, oil it, all that jazz.. I quilted two quilts and on the third one I am having fits! I'm just stippling so far, nothing fancy.. it was going great, and I can't imagine what I did that made it start acting crazy. I hope someone can tell me what to check?

I'll be sewing along, and the stitches look great.. So good in fact that there's black thread on the back and gold on the top and neither shows through to the opposite side, then every 10 inches or so, there's a small patch, less than 10 stitches, in a row, that is so loose, the gold shows big loops on the back. What am I doing wrong? I have re-threaded, changed the needles, even changed the spool of thread.. and it's still doing it. I'm just about to pull it off and finish it on my regular machine.. at this point I can quilt things faster that way.. Unfortunately my aunt needs this for a gift for her husband by Christmas, and I put it ahead of the gifts I was doing myself.. *sigh* When will I ever learn..

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Daisy

Daisy,

Make sure that the 3 hole thread guide just above the tension control is pointing at 8 o'clock. This will hold the thread into the tension disks as you are sewing otherwise the thread may be slipping in and out of the tension disks causing your tension to change on the fly like that.

Good luck! :)

Well I tried both of these suggestions, and it only got worse.. LOL Now its looping EVERY stitch. I fear that my tension just went OUT completely. Is that even possible.. SIGH.. I've pulled the quilt off and finished it on my domestic machine, and put away the tops I was planning to "whip into quilts" this weekend. Ugh, so depressing. I'm thinking I may not have the patience to deal with this, and may stick to my free motion work on my little machine, and sell this longarm. And I was SOO excited.. bah!

Yes,sometimes it happens, but it might be timing more than tension. You said it's a used machine. But was it in perfect timing when you bought it? By hitting a seam or another hard object it could jump. If things weren't tight when you moved it and during reset up. This hobby...business can be a wild trip, but you need to not give up when things get rough. If we did that our little family here would be pretty small. It comes with trial and error and a bucket full of patiences, and a whole lot of stuborn thoughts of your bigger than the machine and you are not going to let it win the battle.

So my best suggestion is get back in the saddle and not let it win.

It sounds to me like you still need to tighten your upper tension. You should be able to tighten until the top thread breaks and then back it off a little and see what your stitches look like. This should get rid of the loops and draw up the threads on the back. If all else fails, don't hesitate to call in and speak with Amy or Christy at 800-426-7233.

Good luck!!

OK Daisy, don't give up!!!!

Assuming your friend threaded it up correctly, when you make the adjustment to the tensioner, do you know that unlike a domestic sewing machine where you turn the tension knob in tiny movements, like 5 minutes on the clock, with a longarm you need to turn that tension at least a half turn, ie, 12 o clock to 6 oclock before you will notice any difference in the tension of the thread going through the needle?

I'd tighten the tension to where you can see the needle tip move a little, then back that tension off half a turn and see what difference that makes. Do the test with polyester thread if you can instead of metallic gold and when you have the poly doing pretty stitches, put the gold on and loosen your tensioner by half a turn, if the thread breaks, loosen a little more.

Are you using the needles that APQS recommend. They used to be Singer MR4 now the brand is Gros Bekert. Call the factory to get the exact needle size and profile, this is so important in creating beautiful stitches.

Good luck

sue in australia

Ok.. no worries! I'm definitely NOT giving up. I really want to make this

work. I knew going into this, that it wouldn't be an overnight success and it

takes time to become good at it. But, I NEVER knew that about the tensioner.. I

was taking tiny little nudges instead of TURNS.. I am gonna try a thorough

cleaning with the WD40 and then oiling, and then I'll give the sewing another

go.. THanks everyone! this forum is the best! I learn something new every time I login.

Archived