Starter tools & equipment

I'm going to MQX for the 1st time & just wondered if any of you can give me ideas about useful starter tools & equipment I might purchase. :)

So far I've only bought panto's & a set of pattern boards.

I guess I'll need an expanded base to use rulers so are there several that fit a Milli?

There are so many rulers & shapes out there I'm struggling to know where to start!!

Maybe there are places that sell starter kits:D

Angie,

I would just say to you, make a list of the items that everyone gives you here on this site. Google the tools, do your homework and know what you are looking for. One tool may work for one person, but may not work for you. Get a set $$ amount that you want to spend, because when you go to one of these shows, it can be like a huge candy shop...and you will want everything you see. You are right, you need a base expander and some rulers. I have the Hartley base and the Donita Reeves base. I have to say I like the Hartley Base Expander the best. But everyone else is going to tell you the other one. Rulers are also a personal preference. I like longer rulers because I have long fingers and I can hold onto them better, but other like the Itty Bitty...You will get that a lot. I love Superior thread and I stock up at a show so I can save shipping costs.

A small ruler with curvey bits and straight bits on it for outlining applique and SID and a straight ruler with lines on it for quarter, half, three quarter etc marked on it plus 45 degrees is useful.

I've now got IQ so most other things are now not necessary.

Before IQ I found a nesting set of circles very useful. You do need ideas of how to use the speciality rulers and some only do one specific shape eg a rope border so think carefully how much use you will make of them otherthwise you can spend shed loads of money for something you only use a few times.

Angie,

Yes and expanded base is a definite! I too have both the hartley and Donita Reeve base. Mary Beth I know just what your saying! I haven't sold my hartley base yet just because it is a little wider than Donita's and I find with my long fingers that feels better but I like the smoother base of Donita's which does not have a cut out. I would get a curved ruler. DeLoa Jones sells a couple of really great rulers. There is one that is for straight lines (a big and small). It is nice because it has notches that help with lining up for 1/4", 1/'2" and 3/4", very helpful. She also has her bommerang ruler used for curved cross hatching. Wonderfully marked! The appliquide is also nice for working around embroidery designs. Superior booth is a definite. Having a list really makes things much easier! It is so easy to go crazy. My favorite booths are Deloa's, Superior & Quilters Rule.

If you could take an empty suitcase it would be a good chance to arrange to be sent a CL or QZ - I don't know if they will at the show but I'm sure they could deliver one if you asked... It would save lots in mail and customs but you may have to explain what the contraption in your luggage might be for!

and design boards - check the fit of the suitcase...

Some of the DVD's that are out there are great too. DeLoa Jones and Pam Clarke have really good ones. There are some great beginner ones out there too.

You will be overwhelmed so going with a list is a great idea.

Superior Threads sells the thread at wholesale prices which means you can get more for the money which is wonderful.

Bring an empty suitcase to put all your treasures in.

Hope to meet you there.

Charlotte

Brilliant

Just what I needed, lots of ideas, its great that certain tools are favourites with several of you, which means they've been thoroughly test driven by now:)

Thanks for the posted thread LinneaMarie.

Linzi a CL or QZ would be great, what are the main differeneces between them? Imagine they could take up quite a space in a suitcase! Wouldn't be the 1st time I've had to explain things in my luggage!

My Milli doesn't have a tape fixed to it, so had a centering tape on my list but am now wondering if I'll use it.

My list is not too long at present (think I might be kidding myself here!)

Thanks again

Archived