hanging sleeves

This is what I do:

After quilting is finished, I trim it.

Cut sleeve 8" by the length of your quilt. Fold in half and press.

Pin to the top back of your quilt

Sew binding on front then flip to the back and hand stitch.

Hand sew sleeve bottom making sure your stitches don't go all the way through your quilt.

Done

On page 12 of the Minnesota State Quilt Show booklet, are hanging sleeve instructions with illustrations (click on link):

http://www.mnquilt.org/mq2010/MQ2010registrationbook.pdf

I also cut and pasted the text here:

Hanging Sleeve Instructions

Removable Sleeve Option

1. Cut (and piece, if necessary) a strip of fabric 9” wide and exactly the

width of the finished quilt.

2. Hem both short ends by turning 1/4” twice towards the back and

stitch close to the folded edge.

3. Fold the strip in half, lengthwise, wrong sides together and then

press well.

4. Open strip and refold, bringing long, unfinished edges just to center of

the strip, to meet at the pressed fold line. Do not overlap. Press the

two folds.

5. Machine top stitch on the very edge of both long folds.

6. Bring long edges together, matching up the long edges, wrong sides

together and sew using a 1/4” seam. Do not turn the resulting tube.

7. Hand-sew the top-stitched edges of your tube to your quilt, having the side

with “the bump” facing out. Use a double thread and a medium hemstitch.

Be sure to tack the ends of the tube.

Permanent Sleeve

Complete before binding is hand-sewn to back of quilt.

1. Machine sew binding, as you usually do, to the front of the quilt. Do not hand sew to the back at this time.

2. Cut (and piece, if necessary) a strip of fabric 9” wide and exactly the width of the finished quilt.

3. Hem both of the short ends by turning 1/4” twice towards the back and then stitch close to the folded edge.

4. Fold the hemmed strip lengthwise, wrong sides together, bringing the bottom edge up to an inch below the top edge.

Press well.

5. Machine top-stitch on the very edge of the long fold.

6. Bring long edges together, match them up and sew the wrong sides together using a 1/4” seam. Do not turn the

resulting tube.

7. After you machine sew the binding to the front, but before you hand-sew the binding to the back, line up the stitching

line at the top raw edge of the tube with the stitching line holding the binding to the quilt. Have the side of the tube

with the “bump” facing out. Be sure to pin the binding out of the way so you do not sew over it. Have the front of

the quilt facing you as you sew so you can stitch on the existing line of stitching. Machine sew the top raw edge of

the tube to the top of the quilt.

8. Hand sew the bottom edge of the tube to your quilt. Use double thread and a medium hemstitch. Be sure to tack

the ends securely.

9. Hand sew the binding over the raw edge of the tube.

If I know a quilt is to be hung, I drop the top of the quilt 9-10" below the edge of the backing fabric. Depending on which way is the top when you are quilting this may be at a side or close to the leveller bar.

Once you have finished quilting I fold back the backing fabric and trim the edge of the quilt. Cut 1" in from both sides. Fold and press and stitch a 1/4" seam on both ends of hanging sleeve.

Sleeve can then be pressed even with the top and stiched down with the binding. Once the binding is attached I fold the top edge even with the quilt top. Then hand stitch the lower edge. The extra fabric helps to keep the quilt lay flatter when it is hanging.

No extra cutting and already partially attached.

Lyn

Joan's instructions from the Minnesota State show are very good...this technique creates a 'D' sleeve...it has extra fullness in it to allow space for the rod so that the quilt hangs flatter. There are also good instructions & photos for construction of this type of sleeve in Robbi Joy Eklow's book. Good luck w/your quilt! Nancy in Tucson

Archived