Computer Quilter

Grammie

Hi Pat and Congrat on your New Milli.

I am also new. Purchased my Milli in November of 2005 and in March 2006 did get the COMPUQUILTER. I wanted to get to know my machine and get an idea if the demand would be there for another quilter in my area. I felt it was and I use my CQ almost exclusively for Edge to edge patterns.

You customers will love the special designs you can do with CQ.

Getting one right away is personal choice.

Good luck in what you decide and will your New machine. I love my APQS and I'm sure you will too.

Hi Pat... I am waiting for my compu Quilter to arrive. I ordered it in May at MQS in KC, but they are waiting for some parts. I have held off quitling for

awhile... waiting for the CQ. Can't hardly wait.

Practice on your machine for awhile. You will love Dawn Cavaghn in Des Moines... She is great. You will learn alot.

Good luck. Barb

Newbie in Canada

How is it that you guys can afford a CQ. after just buying your milli's. the costs are staggering, (over $30,000 US) I'm just hoping to pay off my Mill. in 1 or 2 years & then save up for the CQ., by then I hope to have a good cuctomer base & that it will be able to support that kind of up grade.

In the mean time I'm having great fun learning to use my "Gracie", just finished my first PPP quilt. & I'm not displeased with it, found out that panto's are harded than they look, & that free hand is easier than I though it would be. A SR is the best thing ever for a newbie like me, I don't know what I would do with out it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. happymountainmom

Iam new at posting and not very good at it

I think you are doing the right thing. That what I did worked with My Millenium first then orden the CQ not sorry I did know more about how the machine works now.

I have my Millenium for 3years My CQ will be here next week.

Carolyn

QuiltFrogs in Virginia

Before I would even touch a customer's quilt, I would put on some practice pieces to build confidence and skill. Even if you just use muslin...practice practice practice. Here's another tip I give my students...practice on paper. This is a true statement: the practice you do on paper transfers to your arms! The brain is a magical thing!

I've been a professional long-arm quilter for about 5 years. I recommend you do at least 5 practice pieces before attempting a customers...unless they are your good friend and tell you to just 'go for it'. But realize, someone may see that piece that is not your friend and express an unfavorable opinion of your work. Good luck! With practice, all things are possible!

Hi

I think you click on reply at the bottom of the messages not Quick Reply, then on the left is the word attachment and across from it Browse. Type in the name of the file with the picture and it will automatically insert the pic. You don't know its there though until after you have posted your message and you see it (your message ) on the list.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Hi everyone

Did I do the right thing by getting the CQ.

Iam a little on the nervous side now that it is here, about the hold thing

All of you seem to like yours. Is it a nice as you said it is. Will I have any trouble with how is runs. I come on line everyday to read yours chat about the CQ

Carolyn

QuiltFrogs

Hi Carolyn

You definitely did the right thing but you will surely have days of "what have I got myself into". I think we've all felt that way during the first week or two.

The great thing about having CQ attached to your quilting machine is that you will be able to complete pantographs perfectly on the first day after yhour training and start earning your money back straight away. I suggest you do two or three pantos back to back so you get really comfortable with them before you move onto placing designs in blocks or sashings or using the corners program.

Try not to do two many different new things in the one quilt and take regular breaks from your quilting machine to refresh yourself, time flys by when you are using CQ and you can easily miss a meal and then lose concentration - ask me how I know - and thats when I make mistakes.

If you are new to longarm machine quilting, spend a day (at least) just playing on your quilting machine (without CQ) practicing meandering and stitch in the ditch. If you are having "too" much fun get some freehanding books such as Darlene Epp's Pocket Guides to Freehanding and practice on some of the more interesting forms of meandering. I find most of my quilts need a little freehand as well as computer quilting.

Lastly, when you feel comfortable with CQ try using Autosketch to design patterns. Until then, there are some great pattern designers digitising for CQ.

Good luck and have fun and ask here if you need help.

Sue in Australia

I have a question for those who have a CQ. How much space does it take up and where do you have yours located? I need to know how much room to leave myself and how to arrange the other goodies that will be moving from my sewing room to the shop. DH says the sewing room now gets to be the exercise room;) RIGHT!!

There is a small box that attaches to the left side of your table. This adds 4" to the length needed. Other that that, you don't NEED any other space. Some have mounted their monitors on the side of the machine, and rigged a small "platform between the rollers for the keyboard and mouse. BUT, if you want to use that computer to digitize designs, then you will need a small desk. Here's a pic of the set up I have now. I MAY add the touch screen option when we move the end of September.

post--13461897874647_thumb.jpg

Well that just cleanched the deal:D I will just take the $5 I was going to put towards the "island" and put a down payment on your studio. Should have it paid before be I turn 90 don't you think? I love your pups!! and that quilt they are laying on looks exquisite.

Oh Darlene!

How could you?? :P

Your own children? LOL!;)

Send them to my house, Christian & Thomas will keep them busy!:)

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Originally posted by Bekah

Beings you are moving, can I have yoru current studio?:D

Of course you can have my current studio! All you have to do is buy the house that goes with it. I'll even leave my pups, Luci & Desi to keep you company. :(

• 1 month later...

I know that when the software is installed into the Computer, Stan does do some adjustments to the Computer so that it is able to work and talk to the Compuquilter...Also it is'nt just the Computer and the Long Arm... There is alot of extras that go with it, the Box on the side that Darlene referred to and all the cables and wheels and extras that go along with it. Its not something that you can install.. you actually have to have someone come in and retrofit your machine to the Compuquilter. So alot of that comes into play in the price. Price aside.... I really do love my Compuquilter!:P

I love my Compu Quilter also.. But I have been having a few problems.. the computer seems to lock up whenever I want to restart... Also, when I restart after the bobbin run out, it will not let me restart where I want to ... I just have to go to the start and start over. I need to get in touch with Jim...It seems that the computer falls a little behind wich causes some problems. I just started a customers quilt today and on the first row, I have to start a new section. I will have to go back to the area that is empty and fill it in. Barb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived