How do you mark a large printed top?

I sit in amazement when I see so many beautiful quilted tops and I wonder how you DO that! Do you mark or not mark? I know I can use my water soluable or disappearing ink pens for small jobs but what about something that has LOTS of quilting that you want done? Maybe even a wholecloth? I am still stunned at the beauty of the quilting done on the Transitions quilt! How do you mark on a colored and/or patterned top? And do you mark BEFORE you load the top? If so, how do you square things up so they are correct when you load the top? Lots of questions and some just aren't coming out correctly. I hope someone can help me!

I've searched the forum for this subject but haven't found anything that gives me the answers I need. I'm hoping to gather some good advice that will help me with my next top. It's ready to go but I'm hesitating because I want to do some beautiful quilting designs. This is the first time I have actually done a quilt for ME! It's a colleciton of colors with navy, reds and greens. Thanks, everyone, for your help. This forum is such a wonderful source of advice, enthusiasum and encouragement. Thank you!

Can you upload a picture of the quilt in question? We can probably give you some ideas.

As far as marking a top...I do not mark. I draw on a piece of plexiglass that I place directly on my quilt top while it is loaded on the frame. You will notice that everyone has their favorite way of doing things. I have only done 1 small wholecloth..and I did not premark it either...but should have. Depends on the amount and difficulty of quilting I suppose. :)

Thanks, Kristina. I am waiting for some help to hold the top up for a picture. I will try to upload as soon as I get it taken. I like the plexiglass idea. I will have to try that. I know everyone has their own ideas on how to do this-or-that but that is what makes this forum so fantastic! I really appreciate your reply and will work on getting that photo in just a bit! :)

Rhondalea,

Love your name by the way! LOL Marking is always a tricky thing. Each quilt will tell you what it needs. I use pounce powder (white only) whenever I can. It is quick and gives me a nice line to stitch. If I use this in a smaller section I will pounce once loaded. For instance if I'm using a stencil motif. If I pouncing lines I will also do this most of the time while it is loaded. I like to use a temporary spray adheasive on the back side of the stencil to help keep it in place. If the white powder doesn't show then I'll use blue marker or even black light powder. Now if I'm doing a wholecloth I always premark using either a blue washout marker or Sewline pencil (pink or white lead only). I'll leave some of the areas unmarked if it is small enough that I feel like I can control the stencil enough once it is loaded. I use the back of my quilting table as a large light box. Works wonderfully.

Now if you have a quilt that you don't want to wash then you have a problem. I personally wouldn't make a quilt that I wasn't willing to wash. In that case you can use the pounce powder or chalk. I know some that will use the purple pens as well but for me I don't think it is good to leave the ink in the quilt forever. If I use a blue washout pen I always give it a really good soak in cool water to make sure all the blue is washed out.

Another good thing to use is the Quiltazoid. You can do cross hatching and all kinds of designs with no pre-marking. It works out very well that way.

Is do use the air erase markers, blue wash out markers and chalk. Now before or after loading depends. On the quilt you have I think if you need to mark it with a stencil I would just use chalk after I load it. That is how I just did one. But I'm fairly new to this game, so lets hear the experts. I think I would freehand most of it using like the plexiglass as a trial thing.

Shirley

I see you posted pics. Way to go. Let me think and see what comes to mind for this top. What are thinking that you would like to see on this top? Feathers? stencil in the main block? Your border is very large...opens up the possibility for all sorts of things. I am going to have to sick and stare at this one for a bit. I will get back to you. :)

Looking forward to it, Kristina! I love feathers but, for some reason, do not see them on this one. But my mind could be changed, too! I see circles inside of circles with dense quilting in the center rings for the center section of the quilt.....and possibly carrying some of that through to the borders with some piano keys to finish it off..... hmmmmm, just so many possibilities and too much to think about! :D It's funny how it seems so much harder to do your OWN quilt instead of someone elses! One thing I know that I do not want to do is a panto or e2e. I certainly want to be creative with this as I will be looking at it every day for many years to come! Thanks again for your input and I look forward to checking back again tomorrow! Take care!

My favorite marking tools--

For light/whites--purple air-erase for quick jobs. Blue water-erase for wholecloths or extended quilting.

For darks/prints--my absolute favorite is the Bohin white pencil--a mechanical pencil that makes a very white, easy to see, very thin line. Great for marking through stencils and easy to remove (water on a cloth or a wet Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.) Other white markers that I use are General's white chalk pencil and the Clover white (ink) marker that removes with heat.

If you are going to stitch circles and fill around them, you won't need much marking if you use the piecing to space the circles. If you want them randomly placed, before loading mark the desired spots with a big pin so your spacing will be what you desire.

Your enthusiasm for this project is wonderful and we want finished pictures please!!:)

Thanks, Linda! I have hesitated to post anything but may get the courage to do so when this is done. Unfortunately, I sold my home with my beautiful LA studio and this quilt will take some time as my LA is now sharing space with other machines (Upholstery machine, Harley workshop, and more). So, between working full time and when I get to quilt, it may take a month or more. But I promise to post since you have requested I do so. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help, along with everyone else! :)

Archived