Georgenes quilt #125

lyonden

For those following the challenge, #125 is a quilt Georgene did using 2 pieces of fabric, (not pieced) for the top. She then quilted it with 7 Treasures giant template. After quilting, she randomly cut out some of the petals (cut through the top fabric only) showing the brighter fabric underneath. I saw a rug done this way years ago and loved it then. But, after seeing this, I was thinking that doing this for a bag or tote using for example the Ginko template with so many variations. Many of the smaller templates could be used like this. Aztec is another good one. The Celtic Knot would be great on a wall hanging. The Star Dance giant template would be beautiful with the stars cut out. Placemats, jackets etc. Way too many things running around in my head right now. Waaaaaa!!!! I want to retire now so I can play too. I didn't ask permission to post Georgenes quilt here so go to the challenge and take a look. Give it a try. ;)

Hey Mary Beth - I was thinking about the heartz template for a tote for my great-grandaughter. How about for Hayley? No, Haley needs the Starz cause she's the light of your life, right? It's a good thing you aren't in MY mind this time, it's spinning. I thought about a jacket with concentric circles with every-other one cut out but people would probably throw things at you like a target. :mad: Oh well, gotta get to work. :(

I was thinking, too, about how Georgenes technique could be used with other templates - if you staggered them - for instance the zig zag template and left a 1/2 channel within the design and then used the chenille slash cutter to cut just the channel????? You would be creating a zig zag line of chenille (or a circle or whatever rocks your boat.

This whole CL Challenge was a great idea and is stimulating the brain cells of MANY!

PS Mary Beth, you plexiglass idea is a step up on the upfront stylus. Much more convenient.

OOOOOHHHHH!! /Zig Zag Chenille---how about the Sunburst and extend the zigzag lines a bit and it would look like lightening bolts. Or just random zigzags to make lightening with the chenille or just cut out the first layer on some so they're just a different color. I see this on a black top with bright colors underneath. Geesh I need to get back to work. Thanks heaps Hawaii. I didn't have enough rolling around up there in my head.

Ladies, your ideas are great. The quilt I did was a very fast project.

http://circlelordchallenge.blogspot.com/2010/02/georgene-hugget-fun-7-treasures.html

I saw someone do something similar on a Linda's Longarm Quilting show, but they drew the flowers freehand. The template was so much easier and precise.

I also loved Hawaii's chenille piece.

http://circlelordchallenge.blogspot.com/2010/02/hawaii-barbara-crosshatch-template.html

I have a customer who makes and sells quilts. I showed her the pictures of the cut away stuff and the chenille. She is already getting her quilt together for the cut away, and when I showed her the chenille, she looked and said HMMMMMMM! Since she finishes the one she is working on first I think I already know what her next 2 quilts will be. :):) Just think, there is actually a quilter out there who won't start another quilt till she completes the one she is working on. Seems strange to me. Both the cut away and chenille caught my eye and makes me want to stop what I'm doing and make one of each. My customers wouldn't like that though. :mad:

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I don't have a spirals templates but I think it would chenille well too.

Lyn

Keep in mind the spirals is a continuous circle. You would have to cut out "sections" of the circle and that would make for a really interesting effect. If you used complete circles, you could cut out every other one.

On another note, you wouldn't have to use a batik fabric. If you had scraps, you could kind of piece those together as the second layer underneath. If you didn't want to cut over a seam, you could "feel" for where the seams are.

Mary Beth is right, the Trillium template would be great as well as the Rope Border could be a wonderfully interesting edge. Clamshell would be pretty as well as the Baptist Fan.

Ok, I'm done because I am getting all kinds of ideas for the chanille and I'm on overload.

We want to see zigzag chanille.

By the way girls, don't think we aren't appreciating all the beautiful quilts getting posted. Choosing a pattern for a quilt is a talent in itself. ;) The use of different designs on a quilt are what makes a quilt and gives it the "WOW" factor. I am so inspired by all of you. When I was growing up, all our quilts were tied. Keep them coming. I remember seeing some beautiful quilts being done with the zig zag / waves template. I am not seeing them being entered. The ones I am talking about are where you move the template to make another design. How about the smaller templates? Where are your pictures? :o

Mary Beth, I think that would work great. Maybe a blue top fabric with a bright yellow and white underneath for the stars. Or a fabric that has a little bit of glitter to it.

And wouldn't flannel be nice, it's good for "rag" quilts.

And what about the curved cross hatch template used for chenille, that would be rather different I think.....curved chenille.

OK!! I see the stars in different sizes with the cut outs and use the curved crosshatch to make the trailing lines like the stars are moving., then do chenille on the lines to really make them pop. :D Come on retirement!!!!!!! You know it's bad enough to be here enjoying all the beautiful quilts and sharing ideas but when I get to California, we still have to redo the garage for my sewing room. :( Hope it doesn't take long.

Michael,

Thanks for posting that one!! Very inspiring. And Carol, the thought of placing scrap fabrics underneath the quilted design for a chenille effect, great idea!

I was thinking about how difficult it would be to slash the top fabrics in the middle of quilt without also cutting the back??? Especially with a 1/2" channel. I know it would have to done quite carefully, but am wondering if you could make a starting cut as you quilted the design and before unloading, to give you a start. Does that make sense? Or would there be problems?

Archived