I Finally Finished This One

I pieced this quilt from a kit five years ago....it was called "Starry Night". At first, my longarm skills weren't good enough to quilt it, and then once they improved I realized just what I'd gotten myself into (a fine mess). Five weeks ago, I couldn't put it off any longer .....lots of borders, lots of SID and lots of patterns to co-ordinate. I'm pretty happy with the end result though....tell me what you think.:)

Hi Barbara:

I'm sitting here laughing.....I too have this very same quilt in my "stash".....a friend and I both bought the kit, she made hers, I quilted it, and I haven't even pressed my fabrics yet.....

Good for you quilting this gorgeous quilt and from your pictures you did a beautiful job girl!!!! You should be very proud.....I just might have to borrow some of your ideas for mine....VBG!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are just beautiful, you did a great great job...I love the pebbles...

Happy Quilting,

Thank you all for your fine compliments on this quilt!!

LindaB, don't you want todrag your kit out of the closet, and start piecing? Do you have pictures of what you quilted on it for your friend? Believe it or not, I did this silly quilt twice...the first time I quilted it on my DSM using wool batting from a Minnesota mill...it was a "washable" wool, but not agitatable according to the mill (but it didn't say that on the label). The batting bearded through the entire quilt after washing.....it looked like cat hair. It also shrunk and distorted the whole quilt.:mad: Since I'd promised this quilt to friends in Virginia, I gritted my teeth and remade it; meanwhile I bought a longarm. They've been waiting for me to quilt this thing for four years. So, Chickenscratch, if I were to sell it to you, I'd have to go into hiding. Soozieque, I don't know the name of this feathered star or if I still have the directions from the kit....I'll look. It does have set-in seams which were pretty easy to do.

I'm glad I could inspire some of you with a few of the quilting patterns I used as pay back for the many times you all have inspired me. I love that pebbling effect and am always looking for areas to use it. The ferns for the large triangles came to me after I quilted the fern in the green border. This quilt is proof that you don't have to know exactly what you are going to do until you get started. It seemed like one idea led to another until all the areas were figured out. Maybe not the most organized way to do it, but so far its worked for me.:)

Barbara,

I don't know where to begin. It is beautiful. I love the star

points and the desgin in the flower blocks (Jodi B, really?)

The crosshatch in the inner border, I salute you, that had to

be a bear.

But my favorite are the pebbles. How do you

quilt pebbles? It looks more complex than just tiny circles.

Quilting the pebbles is pretty easy...use a light weight thread as you are going to be going in circles at least three times (I used Bottom Line); use a matching thread as its more forgiving. Pick a place to start your first circle and go around three times or so, stop and think of doing a figure eight for the adjacent circle....sometimes I change directions to do this, other times I don't. When you finish a row of them, stop in the middle of the last circle so you can drop down to the next row to begin again. Try to keep the circles touching each other. Hmmm, this isn't easy to describe. I think this is demonstrated on the Pajama Quilters dvd and is in Darlene Epps pocket guides. Draw this out on paper and you will get the hang of it. Some fabrics will pebble better than others. If you accidentally stitch over the border of your block, you can pick out that stray line and not worry about anything coming undone.....don't ask how I know this. I also think its easier to stitch in unregulated mode for this pattern, just slow your machine speed down so you don't feel rushed. Also, don't worry too much about not staying exactly on the first line you stitch.....I admire those quilters who can, but have found that as long as the fabric pebbles up you will get the effect you want regardless. Sorry to be so long winded!;) Linda, the inner border cross-hatching wasn't that bad.....but the outer border nearly did me in!

Barbara, I made this quilt also. Mine was the lighter colors of yellow, cream, blue and sage green. I didn't wait to quilt it, just jumped right in and quilted it up and gave it to my MIL for her birthday. I don't have a digital picture to post, but next time I go to her house I will take one and post it. Yours is beautiful and quilted very differently from mine. Teresa:)

I'm amazed how many people have made this quilt. When I took it to our Longarm meeting last Saturday someone else had quilted two of them. I've never seen a finished one in a show, but did see one in Paducah at a vendors booth. It makes me think there are many kits lanquishing in closets, uncut or unpieced. Teresa, I would love to see a picture of yours, both the colors and how you quilted it. I bet its beautiful!

Thank you Em for your compliments on this quilt! I did spend a lot of time figuring out what I could do for each area. The leaf stencil I used is from Golden Threads.....http://www.goldenthreads.com and the number is EK43 fern border. It fists a 2 1/2" border.

Archived