MQX question

I've never been to MQX so I'm not really sure what to expect as far as vendors/shopping goes. I'm really excited to take a few classes to help my longarm skill development and I can't wait to attend a show that's all about machine quilting. My question is this...will I be able to purchase pantos there or DVD's, or will it mostly be vendors typical to regular quilt shows? I don't know whether I should order those things online or wait to see what's available at MQX. Thanks for providing me with a sneak preview.

Cindy...have you gone to the MQX site to see the vendor listing....this years going to be totally exciting, they have all the old standards, but there are some new ones as well. Kingsmen ALWAYS brings a good number of pantos, but you need to hit them as soon as the doors open up...as they do go fast, as you won't be the only one to wait to see them before buying. DVD's, yes They also have a good number of artists that they bring with them, but also each teacher who is teaching will have a good number of them with and will be selling them during the actual class...they normally set up tables to do just that as you are coming into the class rooms.

As far as waiting or preordering...that is whatever you want to do...I most of the time can't wait to have it in my hands so I always online order. By waiting you will save on shippig, but now that its in Rhode Island you won't save on sales tax...that was a huge benefit of having it in New Hampshire, no state sales tax, and no shipping.

I again would suggest going to the website and checking out the vendors, I was there yesterday, and its looking REALLY REALLY good.

Originally posted by blair8904

Bonnie, thanks for the info. This will be my first time at MQX also and I'm very excited.

Cindy...this isn't my first time to MQX....I've been going for the last 5 years. If you had been there in the being you would never have thought it would become the show it has. Well, I'm sure they the owner knew it would be, but me the little quilter never thought it. It will blow your socks off...take a good pair of walking shoes, drink LOTS of water, and become a human brain sponge.

Cindy this will be my 4th year and you will be overwhelmed! Lots of vendors and you can find almost anything LA related. Bonnie's right wear comfy shoes and water. I usually bring water as they want too much for a bottle of water! Bring a bag for your goodies and hopefully you are staying in the hotel or nearby so that you can do a dump and run and fill that bag up again. I know Kingsmen will bring stuff if you email them something that you are looking for. I don't know about other vendors. The classes are great. Bring a notebook and take notes. Lots to learn. Oh don't forget the camera. You'll see lots of beautiful quilts. A tissue to wipe off the drool is a good idea too.

Cindy,

My first year was 2 years ago. I walked in and was totally overwhelmed by the "stuff" you could use with the longarm. There are DVDs, rulers, fabric, machines of all kinds and thread. Depending on your expertise with the machine that will probably steer what type of things you will be purchasing.

Bring lots of money. It is a lot of fun, but it can be overwhelming.

They have moved to Rhode Island and it will be a surprise for us all. Can't wait!!!!

OMG, I can't wait! but, I think I'll order some of the pantos online beforehand. That way, they won't get smooshed and it's easier to look at them online as opposed to inline. The good news is that we're driving so I don't have to worry about packing for a plane. And, I have a room right there at the Westin, I think it is, so I can be a member of the "dump and run" club! The bad news is that I can only be there 2 days (Fri & Sat) since I have to work,so hopefully everything won't be gone by then. I'm really excited to take a few classes that are longarm specific, and check out all the longarm gadgets, and gizmos, and meet other longarmers and....I feel like a kid in a candy shop!!! Do I really have to wait another month!!?

If this is your first time, my advice is to look at everything but buy NOTHING the first time through the vendors. Write down everything you are interested in, the price, and the booth number on the map that will come with registration.

Then, sit down in a quiet place and review - is this something you will really use? You can spend an awful lot of money on templates and pantos that you may never use.

I remember my first year looking at the pantos and a nice experienced LA helped me pick some out. I thought the pantos she suggested were very simplistic, but they turned out to be right on - very popular and used often. Other pantos that I thought would be great turned out to be very complex and not popular. You need: floral, leaves, simple for a child's quilt like butterflies, texture like popcorn. If you're a beginner, look for organic shapes that it won't show if you're a little off, and lines that are more than 1" apart in general. Avoid patterns that are symmetrical (will show every wobble), have straight diagonal lines, or lines closer than 1" apart.

The other place to spend a lot of money is on templates. You really need a good small ruler with curves (DeLoa's appliguide, Key, and SewClear MiniCurve are good), and a good cross hatch ruler (Linda Taylor or Dawn Cavanaugh's are good). I would hold off on others until you see what kind of quilting you enjoy doing.

Superior Thread will be there with all their thread at wholesale prices (1/2 of retail). If you don't have a business license to buy wholesale, this is a fabulous opportunity.

So - bottom line, have an idea of what you're looking for and shop from your list and try not to make too many impulse purchases. There have been many posts on this site with advice on the most useful tools, pantos, favorite threads, books, etc.

Have fun, and maybe I'll see you there!

Julia

Julia

Guest Linda S

This will be my sixth year at MQX. There will be lots of wonderful vendors there -- both the type you see at a typical quilt show, but also lots of vendors that specialize in supplies for longarm quilters. You will just love it.

As far as sales tax goes, I don't know what the sales tax rate is in Rhode Island. When the show was in New Hampshire, everyone was just fine because they don't have sales tax either. I know when I go to shows in Washington State, I simply have to show my driver's license and I don't have to pay sales tax. Not sure what the arrangement will be in Providence.

Linda

Originally posted by Linda S

I know when I go to shows in Washington State, I simply have to show my driver's license and I don't have to pay sales tax. Not sure what the arrangement will be in Providence.Linda

No that won't happen out here.....in fact the sales Tax in Rhode Island will be up there with 8 to 8.5%.....

Archived