loading and advancing quilts

donnavans

Usually if this happen to either the top or bottom, they aren't square. Doesn't mean you can't load, but means you have to take care in how you load so you don't wind up with a wonker quilt than usual. Also have you tried to advance the top and bottom, no batting, totally to the take up roller and then bring it back to the beginning position...sometimes if you roll the backer back and forth a couple of times it straightens it out....and also with the top. But if the top is wonky to begin with it may not work the kinks out.

That used to happen to me all the time, tighter on the left than the right. It still does sometimes and I've never figured it out. The bars are parallel and I've checked the leaders for square. Since I do mostly custom work from the front anyway, it hasn't been a big problem.

Make sure you stand in the middle of the bar and use equal strength in each arm to roll the fabric on. Look for guides, like a sashing line in the top, or a seam line in the backing, to make sure that you are rolling it on evenly.

You can make minor adjustments by twisting the fabric tighter or looser in the various spots to get it even.

Julia

Archived