Coiled vs. Straight cord

Dear Folks,

I thought that I read somewhere here that someone changed the coil cord to a straight cord.

I would like to do the same (if I am right about the above). I would like to change the cord that comes down from the ceiling. The coiled cord seems to be too heavy...and cause whiplash in the machine.

Is it possible to change it to a straight, and hopefully, less jumpy, straight cord?

Thanks.

Linda/9patch

Ahhhh!

Judy,

I am assuming that the entire coil is straight. I think that would be a huge improvement.

Now I need APQS to tell me if I can buy one from them that will easily replace the one I have. Or do I need to figure out my own way to make this change?

Yes, the coils are just way too heavy and springy!

Thanks, Judy, for your reply.

Linda/9patch

• 1 month later...

I have the overhead wiring and with the straight cord my carriage and head keep snagging the cord with each pass I have to walk around the table to move the cord however this morning while in the groove :D my carriage ran over the cord and tore the panto plastic :mad:

Are the coiled cords perhaps better with the overhead? Has anyone ran into this little problem??

Thanks!

We found a solution we like to the power cord (and overhead lighting) problem. We placed a piece of unistrut (available at many steel or electrical supply stores) lengthwise about four feet above the table and attached it to the table with two vertical pieces of unistrut. We ran power from a wall outlet to a pair of duplex outlets we installed (one at each side) at the top of the vertical pieces. A piece of conduit was attached with wire or string below the lengthwise unistrut to hold roller shower curtain rings to which we attached clips (borrowed from another type of ring). A pair of fluorescent lights also was attached to the lengthwise unistrut. A lightweight computer power cord ($3 from radio shack or free from any old computer) attaches to the machine and goes up to a lightweight 8' extension cord (about $3 at a hardware store) that runs to the outlets we installed on the unistrut frame. We clip a shower ring into the extension cord about every 18". The power cord runs smoothly through this system, and provides great lighting. In addition, since everything is attached to the table, everything moves with the table so you don't have to fool around with ceiling outlets, wall hangars and the like. Put the table anywhere you like!

Gary (DH) and Teri (Too Devine Quilts)

I struggled with my coiled cord but the Millennium has a straight cord. I have it plugged into a surge protector that sits on the floor and I do not have the least bit of drag.

With the coiled cord, I had rigged up my own overhead system but with the straight cord, I'm not using it.

If you have the straight cord, have you tried using it without the overhead? You might want to try that.

Hi All,

We can certainly trade you for a curly cord, if that would help!

I have seen where wire ties have been used to help hold it up!

Let me know what you would like me to do.. I think the best way to go, if you want to use the overhead wiring, is to get a curly cord!

I apologize for the problems.. When we went to the straight cord, it was because of complaints about the curly cord.. Now, the straight cord is causing problems with overhead wiring.. So we will have to send the curly cords with the overhead, and the straight for the ones that don't have overhead. Sounds pretty simple huh??!!! (LOL)

I will e-mail the proper people and we will try and get things straightened out!!!

Thanks for letting us know, the only way we learn of problems, is by all of you letting us know what works and what doesn't

Have a Great Day!!!!

Connie

APQS Service

What a giggle! I hooked pretty pink shower curtain hooks (LOL) on it for today:o, I really need to finish quilts.. It seems to work. I tried not using the overhead but found my outlet was too far away and was too lazy to cut all of my electrical ties off :P so I'll call Connie tomorrow and order a coiled cable...

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Teresa

Hi,

I am really happy with the change to a straight cord. I would never go back to the coiled cord. I have my overhead support above the back rail. This is working wonderfully. I would move the support back even further if I didn't have beams in the way. But, really, the straight cord has eliminated 99% of the issues I was having making the machine do what I wanted her to do! This is very good! Phew!

Linda/9patch

:P

Guest Linda S

No problems Connie! I have the straight cord, but could still feel a bit of a drag from it off the back of the machine, so I rigged up the overhead wiring with a curtain track (similar to the stuff that is used to hang curtains between cubicles or hospital beds). The straight cord goes right up there, is out of the way, and no drag! I love it.

Linda

Linda S., where did you get the over head track (the kind used by hospitals). Is it the type that can be mounted on the ceiling? My DH and I have been looking for a curtain track we can mount on the ceiling of our patio so we can pull a curtain around the spa when we want privacy? It may not pertain to quilting but it is important to relax those muscles after a long day on the longarm. Thanks.

Archived