How to put a quilted top on the frame again?

Hello,

I want some advise please,

in december ( I thougt) I finished a babyqult...

on the backside there were some squares with loops on it, now I unpicked the bad squares and want to put the quilt on the frame again,

my question is, do I use the qulttop or the quiltbackcanvas to pin the quilt?

thanks for sharing your solutions

Does anyone knows what causes these loops, almost the whole quilt was done nice and clean

- is this about a bad spool?

- is it because of the tension of (some) quiltlayers?

thanks for looking, thanks for answering

Jo

post--13461903626083_thumb.jpg

I would just pin one end to the pick up canvas and one end to the backer canvas...

What thread did you use?

If it was a fussy cotton on top you will need to quilt pretty steadily/slowly

You need a nice smooth bobbin thread like So Fine, Aurifil 50, Bottom Line or Filtec

Try to leave enough backing and batting at the side of your quilt to do a few practice squiggles and check underneath before going onto the actual quilt - frogging takes forever!

When I use to get tucks in my backers it was my not getting them tight enough. There is a point of not tight and the othe side of that they are to loose. One needs to find that happy medium and until you find it keep checking each pass to make sure things are good. Also I make sure my side clamps are in place.

Is that all green thread-puke on the back? And black as well?

I am sorry you have to frog it all out--phooey!

I also wonder what caused it since the other visible stitching looks great.

More info about thread combos, etc would help pin it down, but it's too late to fix (but not too late to learn why and how not to get it again).

As for re-loading a quilted piece, just figure a way to secure it to the leaders as one piece so you can access the problem areas. You just want the area in the stitching field and secure to the rollers.

Sometimes I roll up the leaders tightly, lay the piece over the rollers following the correct path (so the quilt lies flat on the bed of the machine) and just poke straight pins through the quilt and deeply into the rolled leaders--I use a sharp angle and point the pins towards the center of the field. With the quilt secure, I stack the back overhang of quilt onto the back roller and secure with a few pins just so the machine can pass along without running over the quilt. DO NOT ADVANCE THE QUILT! Did you like the capitals? If you do, the pins will **sproinnng** out in all directions or even worse, may tear the quilt. Don't ask how I know this.......:o

Good luck in finding the reason for your frogging. Let us know how it goes.

one tip that another Moxie gave at a meeting was to take the tubes that the batting comes on (heavy cardboard tube) and cut with a bread knife into about 1' lengths, then cut about 1/2 to 3/4 inch out of the length of it, and snap this over your top bar and leveler bar to hold your quilt in place. I have done this on quilts after I have finished, taken the quilth off the macine and realized that I missed a spot. If you are going to quilt quite a lot, I would re-pin to the leaders so that there is no slipping and you can advance normally. ;)

Archived