wheel problems

I am hopins someone out there can help me, I am so frustrated! I have a 5 year old milli that I cannot get my wheels to stay adjusted correctly. After quilting awhile, the drag becomes so great that moving the carriage is a chore. I have checked the levelness of table, checked the gold nuts on the wheels and have cleaned both rails and wheels. I do not wax my rails.

So, my question is.... Do the wheels ever wear out? They are not leaking around the bearings, already looked for that. I am not mechanically inclined, so this has bamboozeled me. Are there any dealers close to southwest Ohio? I would love to schedule a maintanence call and have someone come look at this machine! Are there any quilters that would feel comfortable teaching me the basic wheel fine tuning?

Any help would be greatly appreciatred.

Lori

Originally posted by lorihufford

So, my question is.... Do the wheels ever wear out?

Lori

Lori, yes the wheels do wear out. If you have gotten 5 years out of your original wheels, that is fantastic.

When you adjust, you are tightening the gold bolt again, right. You said you lose adjustment. If you don't tighten the bolt back up the wheels will not stay in the adjustment that you put them in. I have a picture saved that was sent to me from the factory. I'll try to find it and post.

When you look down the rail at your wheels, you should see an air gap between the lip of the wheel and the rail. If you have the lip resting on the rail this can cause drag.

I was so frustrated that I attempted to adjust again and completely knocked the carriage off of the back wheels. So, I called a friend over and took the back axle off and repositioned the front of the carriage and then reattached the back axle. Believe it or not, I was able to readjust the front wheels and it seems to be gliding better now. I am seriously considering Edgeriders though. I was thinking of a Circle Lord, will that change anything if I do Edgeriders? Which should I do first? Edgeriders or Circle Lord?

Lori

You have to raise the carriage for the CL. The edgeriders are 1/4" taller than the original wheels, so this raises the carriage for you. After that, you may only need 2-3 additional washers to get enough height for the CL.

Edgeriders are a bugger to install. But they are worth the hassle. Definately have help to install them if that is the route you decide to go.

Lori,

You need to really understand the engineering behind the APQS wheel system and then adjustments will be a breeze. The cam nuts adjust the wheels closer and farther away from the rails. It is a difficult concept to understand if you are not familiar with the terminology. A friend of mine that is an engineer explained it to me one day. He sat down with me at the machine and actually drew pictures for me so I would understand how the system works and why we can adjust the wheels to create drag or not to create drag.

Since that day I no longer want to know how to make things work but why do things work the way they do. I never have problems adjusting anything on my machine anymore.

Maybe someone will do a U-Tube video on wheel adjustments!!!

Sandra

Archived