to have a website or not?

auntstephie

I have always thought that a website was a backwards thing--if you are famous as a quilter, teach classes, win awards, or are involved in some quilt-related scandal(?), then someone may want to find you. They browse for your name, and there you are with your gorgeous website. If you aren't famous, don't teach, haven't yet won awards, nor have you been scandalous, well, why would someone want to find you?

You can set up a site to direct potential customers though and that is a great use for a website. Get a site up with pricing, a link to your email and pictures of your lovely quilting. Maybe as well, stitch-outs or diagrams of any pantos you offer, and tutorials on how to prep a top, apply borders correctly, and how big the backer should be. A little bit about yourself and your (smoke-free pet-free) studio along with the diva photo of you in front of a big beautiful quilt or beside your machine and you are set. Put the site address on your business card and brochures--and any advertising--and it is a great tool. But seldom will a website attract new customers--unless you are famous, teach, etc etc etc.

See, it is kind of backwards, isn't it? :P;):P

If you need business, no one is looking for you. If you don't need business, there you are!

If you do go for the web site...I would think about a blog. You can set up a blog for free and add to it as often as you like with no problem. Of course, since you aren't famous or been involved in scandle, you would want to include the web address of your blog on your business cards and any other business related material you might print up.

sounds to me like this calls for a good scandal. can't you think of something scandalous to do?

if you aren't prone to scandal, how about becoming famous? perhaps you could star in a reality quilting show. it could be titled The Real Quilters of the APQS Forum. seems to me that there are people with way less talent than you starring on every cable channel. maybe you could even fit a small scandal into each weeks' episode.

then you would be famously scandalous and your website would get lots of hits.

sorry - i just couldnt resist!

Hi Stephanie,

I have thought for about a year that I needed to set up a website, people mostly commented that they wanted to see what I have quilted. I seem to keep a 3-4 month backlog of quilts through my guild, and LQS. So I didn't see the need for a website, but I have set up a flkr account to post pics of quilts and I have included a link to this website on my business card and see that it has had alot of lookers since I did this a month ago..so that is my advice...

a blog or place to post pics and then a way to let people know they are there...

I have had a website for years and absolutely love it. The gal that did mine, did a wonderful job and I get a lot of comments on how easy it is to get from one place to another. I really don't see many of our customers at all. We get A LOT through the mail and they download my worksheet from our website. They can sit and see all the patterns we offer, and see the webshots right from there. LOVE my website. But, alas, I am retiring in a couple of months and am going to let the website go. A few of my customers have had hissy fits about removing the site so I am in the process of doing a blog (for free) for those customers who still want to send me quilts. I can't justify the cost of the site when I am not quilting much anymore after Junel. I will not look for new customers. Take a look at my site listed below my name. Anyone interested in using this lady just let me know. At first she had me with a really classy website then she got to know me and this site fits me to a tee.:P

Originally posted by ffq-lar

...... If you aren't famous, don't teach, haven't yet won awards, nor have you been scandalous, well, why would someone want to find you?

OK this is me. But the scandalous part... hmmm... ;) I'm not sayin'!!

I have a web site that hasn't been updated in 2 years... I think a few people have found me through my web page by typing "quilting and Alaska" but I haven't gotten any business from it, I don't think. But... well, I need to get famous and get me a few awards and then I'll update my web site!! :P

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by ffq-lar

...... If you aren't famous, don't teach, haven't yet won awards, nor have you been scandalous, well, why would someone want to find you?

OK this is me. But the scandalous part... hmmm... ;) I'm not sayin'!!

I have a web site that hasn't been updated in 2 years... I think a few people have found me through my web page by typing "quilting and Alaska" but I haven't gotten any business from it, I don't think. But... well, I need to get famous and get me a few awards and then I'll update my web site!! :P

ok - so we can go with Real Quilters of the North Pole, instead. and you can become famous, shana! roflmbo

Archived