CL Spiro Thingy Help Please

gable428

Hello Friends. I am having a heck of a time figuring out the instructions on the use of the CL Spiro Thingy. It just makes no sense to me. I tried for an hour last night and finally gave up. Can someone break it down really simple for me? Sorry to be so ignorant:o

Gable,

I just used the spiro thingy this weekend. at first I too was scratching my head. But then I used the the instructions/pics on the instructions as a reference tool to determine size of the design and not for actually step by step info.

1) when I started treating the design like the "bowl" design from the aztec template it became more clear to me.

For instance it dosen't matter which template # you choose once you understand one of them they all will work the same.

2) you use the spiro thingy templates with the stepping disc(the 12 3/4" disc with the ray and the 4 lines of holes) when you place the stepping disc on the CL Basic unit the center of the disc goes over the post on the CL Basic unit then you choose which template you want to use (they are numbered by size...4-10, the smallest bowl shape being template 4 and the largest bowl shape being 10).

3) I started off by numbering my templates based on the instruction sheets Michael sent me (made it easier to use).

4) All the templates have 2 sizes on them except template 8. So look at template 8 to start (it will be less confusing since all the holes are for that template only) There are 6 hole settings that you can place on the center post of the stepping disc. Each hole will create a basic design (as seen in the diagram instruction sheet Michael sends with it.

5) The 1 & 2 holes are located on either side of the bowl design on the template (I call it the bowl design because that is what it is called on the Aztec template...on the spiro thingy templates he calls them "smilies") Take template 8 and place it's hole 1 on the center post of the stepping disc which should have already been placed on your CL Basic. the corresponding hole of 1 will fit over the othe post on the stepping disc (the one that is used when you are using the mini templates). Now you are ready to start your design.

6) If you look at the instructions drawings the design that you will get will be 1 of 2 designs (looks like a daisy)depending on how many steps you take will determine how full the flower will look. 8 steps or every other stepping hole will create a flower with 8 petals and if you step every stepping hole you will get a 16 petal flower.

7) I was not able to leave my needle down in the quilt and step the template like you can with the other CL templates. (this might be what is causing you frustration). With the template in place (assuming you already found the center of your block on your quilt) drop your stylus in the bowl/smiley groove at one end, stitch. Lift your needle on your LA and drag your thread while you step 1 or step 2 holes depending on if you wanted 8 petals or 16 petals. Keep stitching the bowl/smiley shapes like this until all the petals have been formed (FYI when stepping you will only see 1/2 of the petal shape at first but as you keep stepping eventually you will stitch the second half of the petals, to look like the diarams).

I need to run my kids to school now but will eaplain more when I get back.

You have 4 templates, numbered (named) 4 & 5, 7 & 9, 8, and 6 & 10. You can make designs by either stepping 1 hole or 2 holes. On the instruction sheet you will see a row of designs that are made by stepping once, and a row of designs made by stepping twice. The pictures show which design is made by using each of the numbered holes on the spiro disk, (1 through 6.) The chart shows the template number down the side, hole number across the top, and size of the design. The design is made by guiding the stylus along the arc (smiley face) on the template.

The sketches of the templates show their numbers, the hole numbers, and C1 / C2 which are used to make circles around the designs. The holes are specific to the template number.

If you want to make the design that is stepped once that is shown for hole 1, and you want the design to be 5 inches, look at the chart across the top and find Hole 1, look down the chart to find 5 inches, then look at the template number and you will see Template #5.

If you want to make the design that is stepped twice that is shown for hole 3, and you want the design to be between 5" and 6", look at the chart across the top and find Hole 3, look down the chart to find the value between 5" and 6" and you see 5.7", then look at the template number and you will see Template 4.

I've marked my Template 4/5 to identify most holes. The holes marked S.D. go on the stepping disk. The holes marked Center Post are the holes that go on the center post of the stepping disk. The numbered holes used for the center post and stepping disk post should be the same.

Including two pictures that I hope will help. Using the Spiro Thingy is quite easy once you understand the template and hole numbers. I hope this helps and if you have more questions, just ask.

The first picture is template 5, hole 1

post--13461903770344_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

A picture is worth a 1,000 words, lol!

:P:P:P I live in the Show Me State!

I didn't mean for my explaination to sound short. I'm just in a hurry.....got quilting to do, you know. :D And now I have the word 'template' permanently misspelled on my template! :o

Thank you Gable for asking the question. I thought that it was just me, I read and reread but knew that I was missing something. I don't have the Aztec template which may be part of my problem. Thank you Joann and Carmen for the explanation and pictures. I have printed everything out and will have it close by the next time I use the Spiro Thingy.

Sue

You were given great instructions by Joann and Carmen and I'd like to add one more tip. I am using the spiro thingy on a QOV quilt today. As you need to step the template stop the machine by hitting the blue button on the right handle leaving the SR running. After you have moved the stepping disk by 4 holes you are ready to turn the machine on again and only have to use 1 hand.

Archived