Hi! I just bought a pieced top from ebay to do some quilting on and I was wondering if I should stitch around the outside and wash it before I quilt it? It is a nice quilt and doens't stink or anything, but I do smell the sizing from the material and it is a bit "stiff". thanks for the info! linda

I have done lots of ebay vintage quilts. DO NOT WASH. If seams are a bit off, you will have holes, also, gobs and gobs of messy threads.

Even though it hurts to quilt on a dirty quilt. Quilt it up, then was 3 times in oxyclean when done. It will look new.

I've done a few vintage quilts, and I've read advice to do the quilting first, then deal with any stain or oder issues after the quilting and binding are on.

I also quilted one of those inexpensive presewn fabrics. Home spun squares that is sold by the yard at JoAnns. That fabric had been washed. It was a nightmare! frayed edges where the fabric squares were sewn together, long threads, and distortion. It took me quite a few hours just to get it ready to quilt. Clipping frayed fabrics, thread and pressing seams....never again.

My advice is to quilt it first---

ok! Thanks , Ladies!! This quilt is NOT dirty! It is made of newer fabrics and I just smell the sizing in it. I am excited to mess with it! This is the first time I have purchased a quilt top on ebay. It was fun!!! :) I think it could get addicting bidding for things on there! :o Got to watch out!:) Thanks again for the info~! linda

Archived