its that ribbon question again

kudos to all of you who enter shows, ribbons or no. And thank you all for having such a civil conversation about what can be a very hot topic.

I tend to look at this in a different light. I am a quilter, I get paid to quilt, I get paid to make my customer's quilts to look the best they can. The quilts belong to them, period, ribbons and all - because I have already been compensated.

Now, that being said, it really gets my goat when someone takes credit for my work by not listing my name on a show entry. I like to think it is an oversight but it is hard to ignore. Recognition and word of mouth are the best forms of advertising we can have.

Now, if I collaborate on a quilt for show, no payment exchanged, I will make up an agreement to share all awards and prizes. Yet sometimes even that does not seem fair, the piecer gets to keep the quilt after all. Deep down, I think I'd rather get paid and have my name on the entry, or make my own quilts for shows.

To be fair to the piecers, it is not always their fault that the quilter is not named. I have entered shows (and I know others this has happened to also) with quilts that were quilted by someone else, with the quilter's name clearly on the label and on the application form, but the show does not enter quilter's name in their catalog or quilt description. Let's hope small quilt show organizers are getting more savvy about it, but this does happen.

Originally posted by Gator

I'm a little sad, I was looking at the winning quilts on the AQS site and they listed (pic included) the quilt Doodlebug quilted but her name wasn't listed with the lady who entered it. :(

I was at the show and when we learned that doodlebug had quilted a winning quilt we borrowed someone's show guide to look up the number so that we could find the quilt. Shannon Baker is listed in the show guide as the quilter, so we know that her name was provided on the entry form. Here's a picture of the quilt hanging at the show. Congratulations, doodlebug!

post--13461903985289_thumb.jpg

I have a George and do not quilt for others...only my own pieces. I have, however, read the numerous posts here with interest. I have really been moved by your frustration & comments. I agree wholeheartedly that the longarm quilter's work is often a large part of what makes a quilt 'ribbon worthy'.

In our Guild's annual show, there are 7 categories for 'Collaborative' quilts...quilts which have been pieced or appliqued by one person and quilted by another (professional quilter). I am in charge of judging for the quilt show next year so I pitched an idea to our quilt show chairs and have just received approval to give TWO blue ribbons in each of those 7 categories. For the first time, our show will award first place ribbons for both the maker of the top AND the professional quilter in those 7 categories. It's a small step but thanks to all of you for the idea.

Nancy in Tucson

I struggle to get myself listed as the quilter on my own quilts when they are judged for a longarm award. I can well believe it is just as hard, if not harder for the average piecer. Maybe the problem here is with the shows not our customers?

If you really want a challenge try to explain the difference between hand guided and computer guided and why one my have more irregular stitches than the other.

Ferret

Archived