Quilting for show

Here's some inside info--I helped in the judging room at Innovations so this is where I observed this. It may not be the same at all shows.

The boxed quilt entries were all opened (not with box knives, but with bare hands and scissors!--Smart, huh?)

Each quilt was removed from any wrapper or bag and the entry form sent in the box as well as the placement/judging form were safety pinned to the quilt. The quilt was folded with the info facing up and placed in heavy clear plastic bags. The bags were stacked low number on top and eight deep on tables--all sorted by category.

To judge, the quilts were stacked flat--eight deep, with lower right corners aligned. Judging was done on all eight and they were re-folded to store until hanging the next day.

Why I have stepped through this process is to show you that no matter how you ship your quilt--whether with tissue paper carefully placed at the folds, or rolled flat for shipping--that quilt will be folded, re-folded, have multiple quilts piled on top of it and compressing it, be re-folded again and maybe stored for 24 hours with lots of weight on it.

Ouch! Your quilt may hang with fold marks no matter what you do!

Sooooo--use poly or wool batting for show quilts--neither has a "crease memory". If you like the look of cotton batting, it may well have fold marks at a show.

Just passing on some observations.

Oh gosh! :D Linda said it. I was helping in judging room at MQS in 2008 (a great learning experience, BTW) and although the quilts are handled with the greatest of care, they are touched by many DIFFERENT people (all volunteers) Handled and handled, and folded and folded and moved and moved...all that -- a bunch of times.

Linda yes you are right but I figure the creases from moving them at the show may not be as bad. My latest quilt held up very good with no visibile creases even after going through the judging process. The Hunter Star quilt didn't fair as well. When it was folded at the show it was folded with a diagonal crease and it showed when hung. I think the new one is so heavy it just couldn't hold the creases! LOL I just unfolded it from MQX to get ready to ship to MQS and the new one again has no visible creases in it. The Hunter star looks better.

LOL! I didn't see magnifying glasses, but they sometimes did use a flash light on the very dark fabrics to see the stitches easier.

I think if you are going to have a lot of embellishments and "accessories" on your quilt just make sure they are tied on good and tight so they won't fall off. There were several quilts (especially the art and wallhanging category) with the extra embellishments on them and they were just carefully handled, as all of the quilts were.

Guest Linda S

Yep - Karen wrote the book on this. Great info in the book. Linda is right about the handling at shows, but when a show is really knowledgeable, they will not fold quilts in half or quarters while taking them to be photographed or hung. That fold through the middle can really make any quilt hang wonky, and most show owners know this.

My show quilts are all hanging in my house, so I can't give you can tips on storage. If I get my butt in gear and enter more shows, I may have to worry about storing them.

I've noticed that my quilts are returning from shows in pretty poor condition. I am slowly working out which have the fold and crush policy, because for some of my quilts, that causes damage I can't repair.

From my point of view it would help if shows would warn me of this in advance, before I give them my work to destroy.

Ferret

Archived