Hey all, I haven't been around much...does anyone know how thick Sharon Schamber recommends for the foam?? I have most of her videos but I'm too lazy to go through them. I'm having a hard time backtracking my feathers and I don't know why. I have cleaned my wheels and vacuumed out the rails so I think I'll try the foam.

Thanks in advance. I'm glad to be back to the forum.:)

I don't know exactly what thickness you need--it is used to put drag on the machine for intricate stitching so try a piece of two inch to start and then fold it double if that isn't enough resistance.

Side note--I chuckle when I read about "quilting on ice" or "through butter"--we adjust our machines and buy add-ons until the head floats. And then we use weights and foam to slow it down and add drag. Huh? Anything that works is great, though!:D

Good luck with your feathers and good to see you back again!

Thanks Linda, I appreciate the help. I know it is on one of my videos but I don't remember which one!!! Do you remember if it needs to be wide enough that is wraps around the whole take up bar? I am actually ordering it from an upholstery place. They are going to cut it to size and they are waaaaay cheaper than Fabricland (Canadian form of Joanne's) LOL

Tracey,

I don't have this foam thingy but I have heard about it via Sharon Schamber.

I think it's just shoved under the black leveler bar on the APQS or Millennium. I am not sure where you place it on the Gammill. Perhaps on the roller that is closest to the base of the head. Just to give resistance. I think it goes the entire length.

Archived