Traditional Wholecloth Question

I had the wonderful experience of taking Karen McT's wholecloth design class at HMQS last week. I ave used ivory cotton sateen and very traditional quilting patterns with lots of feathers (my favorite)!!

My question is this: I am putting our last name across the top and our wedding date across the bottom, between the border and center medallion. I want to put my husband's and my initials above our last name. So for my initials, do I use my first inital and middle intial OR do I use my first initial and the first initial of my maiden name? Which is more traditional?

I don't have a clue, but since it's yours and to be treasured always, do what you think would be best.

That said, if it was mine, I would use the first and middle initials--unless you have been/will be using your maiden name as a "middle" name. Any other specifics can go on the label-your full names including your maiden name, maybe birthdates, where it was made, all that important stuff.

We want pictures/we want pictures/we want pictures (can you hear the chant?:D)

What is your legal name now? Did you move your maiden name to your middle name? I would personally use my legal name's initials - whatever that may be.

I think somewhere there is a 'manner rule' about this, but far be it from me to know where to find it - let alone remember it :) It may not even be accurate any longer anyway. So, I'm with the other's - do what you think is best. But 'legal' is a good fall back postion :)

I'll bet the quilt will be beautiful! Can't wait to see some pictures! Karen's classes are fun, aren't they ?

Meg, that is what I had always heard...that the maiden name became your "middle" name. But I wanted to make sure. Interestingly, my mom and my aunt do not have middle nams. Both took their maiden name as their middle name. So I will go with that! I will post pics when the quilt is done, but it won't be for a while yet. One more practice before the real thing. Stay tuned!

Guest Linda S

In traditional New England (and some southern) society, a woman moved her maiden name into the middle name position when she wed. It's more traditional, but, it's your quilt, so you should do whatever makes you happy!

Linda

Archived