fleece for backing

I use fleece a lot...........just make sure the "stretch' direction isn't between the rollers..........ask me how I learned this??? I use a very thin batting with it and pin the batting to the top of the fleece and along the sides to help stabilize it. You do have to be careful when attaching your side clamps that you don't stretch it too much. If you do, when you take if off the machine it will scrunch up.

Fleece on the back of a flannel quilt makes a great winter time throw. My husband and I each have one next to our chairs. They wash great, too.

I have a customer who used fleece as backing on all her quilts. I pin so the selvages are on the sides (not pinned to the rollers) as the stretch in fleece is widthwise from selvage to selvage. She does not want me to use any batting as she says the quilt gets way too warm and I can see where it would (these are lapsize quilts).

I love the definition that you get with fleece. It is so much fun. Enjoy.

I have also quilted with fleece on the back, but Ido it opposite if what Sheila does it. I do pin the selvages onto the rollers and be sure not to roll too tight! hummm.... I'm not sure which way is the RIGHT way, but I have never had trouble with the stretching with the way I do it! hummm!!:o linda

I have used fleece and minkee. I lay everything on the floor and pin to the zipper edges (don't use the zippers) so nothing stretches. I have pinned it any way that works (stretch-wise). Only time I had trouble w/backing was using a blanket that my son wanted me to use. It was way too soft and baggy and curled on the edges when I was done. Minkee is FANTASTIC. Just ordered 5 yds from an online co & paid $73 w/shipping. Seemed like a bargain when it is $17 per yd at the quilt store. Is bright orange for a baby combination bumper pad, blanket and maybe a sheet if I have enough left over.

Archived