Micro - Work

I have been doing some micro-work - tiny circles, stippling, etc. and have found that if I turn my machine speed up on the highest it will go with my stitch regulator on, that it's much easier to get really nice tiny circles, etc. I'm not sewing faster, just getting more stitches per movement.

Does it make a difference in the total look of your finished quilt that your micr-work has much smaller stitches then the rest of the quilt? Also, I haven't gotten the knack of using the micro-drive, seems much easier for me to use the regular handles.

Any comments or tips on micr-work would be greatly appreciated.....Mercedes

I have been doing some micro-work - tiny circles, stippling, etc. and have found that if I turn my machine speed up on the highest it will go with my stitch regulator on, that it's much easier to get really nice tiny circles, etc. I'm not sewing faster, just getting more stitches per movement.

Does it make a difference in the total look of your finished quilt that your micr-work has much smaller stitches then the rest of the quilt? Also, I haven't gotten the knack of using the micro-drive, seems much easier for me to use the regular handles.

Any comments or tips on micr-work would be greatly appreciated.....Mercedes

I think Heidi M is the one I heard commenting on here, about speed and freehanding, as well as others that agreed with her.

She will probably pop in Fri. morning and answer this.. sounds reasonable to me.

Good Luck,

RitaR

I think Heidi M is the one I heard commenting on here, about speed and freehanding, as well as others that agreed with her.

She will probably pop in Fri. morning and answer this.. sounds reasonable to me.

Good Luck,

RitaR

Yes Rita when using the SR the smaller you make the stitch length the smoother it feels. I tend to go as small as I can when doing micro work. When doing my show quilts I keep a very small stitch length. When looking at show quilts I noticed that many of them are done with a very small stitch length. Another thing you might want to try is turning the SR off and doing it in non-SR mode. That is really smooth and you will soon develop a rhythm for micro work. I personally really like my micro handles and use them all the time. I like that my hands are right on the quilt. Play around with the height of the handles too. I found that when they are too high up they are akward. I tend to put my thumbs around them vs holding them with my finger tips. I also like to have the Hartly base expander on with it vs the Donita Reeves base. The hartly is just a little wider. I like the design better of the Donita Reeves base and it is easy for ruler work.

Yes Rita when using the SR the smaller you make the stitch length the smoother it feels. I tend to go as small as I can when doing micro work. When doing my show quilts I keep a very small stitch length. When looking at show quilts I noticed that many of them are done with a very small stitch length. Another thing you might want to try is turning the SR off and doing it in non-SR mode. That is really smooth and you will soon develop a rhythm for micro work. I personally really like my micro handles and use them all the time. I like that my hands are right on the quilt. Play around with the height of the handles too. I found that when they are too high up they are akward. I tend to put my thumbs around them vs holding them with my finger tips. I also like to have the Hartly base expander on with it vs the Donita Reeves base. The hartly is just a little wider. I like the design better of the Donita Reeves base and it is easy for ruler work.

I like blue Grass or Blood sucking, butt kicking Rock & Roll--I'm nuts anyway-- But those rainy days you just need some good ol country--Johmmy Cash, Mearle, and the boys! The mood of the quilt and customer take on a life of their own sometimes and it tells you what to listen to!--Dave B.

I like blue Grass or Blood sucking, butt kicking Rock & Roll--I'm nuts anyway-- But those rainy days you just need some good ol country--Johmmy Cash, Mearle, and the boys! The mood of the quilt and customer take on a life of their own sometimes and it tells you what to listen to!--Dave B.

Archived