Would you move your busniess out of your home if opportunity called?

I think Shana had some great advice. Whenever I have to make a big decision I do the writing down pro's and con's thing. It really help to crystalize things. The age of your children would be a factor for me. I really think during those middle school/high school years they need ready access to a parent more than the younger years. If you are lucky enough to be able to work at home and know where they are and who they are with, as well as being there to talk things over with, you might want to think twice about giving that up. Good luck with your decision.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Shana had some great advice. Whenever I have to make a big decision I do the writing down pro's and con's thing. It really help to crystalize things. The age of your children would be a factor for me. I really think during those middle school/high school years they need ready access to a parent more than the younger years. If you are lucky enough to be able to work at home and know where they are and who they are with, as well as being there to talk things over with, you might want to think twice about giving that up. Good luck with your decision.

I am actually in the process of moving my studio from my home and into a rental space. After much research and planning, I realized that the only way to make it successful if I moved out of the house was to expand the business.

There are many other things to consider when moving into a public space, like utilities, insurance, security (yours, the quilts that need to be quilted and the machine.) I too had been offered to bring my machine into a local quilting store in the past. The factor that kept me from that was that if the quilt shop did not pay it's rent for some reason, the landlord would be holding my quilting machine hostage!

Opening my own space is different, I get to set the hours, make sure everything is secure and expand at my pace.

Good luck with whatever you decide and if you have specific questions, let me know.

:)

I am actually in the process of moving my studio from my home and into a rental space. After much research and planning, I realized that the only way to make it successful if I moved out of the house was to expand the business.

There are many other things to consider when moving into a public space, like utilities, insurance, security (yours, the quilts that need to be quilted and the machine.) I too had been offered to bring my machine into a local quilting store in the past. The factor that kept me from that was that if the quilt shop did not pay it's rent for some reason, the landlord would be holding my quilting machine hostage!

Opening my own space is different, I get to set the hours, make sure everything is secure and expand at my pace.

Good luck with whatever you decide and if you have specific questions, let me know.

:)

My studio is at home, but separate from the house. It does keep family interruptions to a minimum as they have to go up a flight of stairs :D to find me. And since I have my ipod on and the machine running they have to wave their arms and jump up and down (my strategy to keep them away).

While I'd love a more formal shop atmosphere, I do appreciate being able to skip on over for 30 minutes late in the evening to ready things for the next day. It's convenient. A commute would take that away and I'm not sure worth the increased customer base. But then again, family would become a bit more self-reliant I would think.

Good Luck with your decision.

My studio is at home, but separate from the house. It does keep family interruptions to a minimum as they have to go up a flight of stairs :D to find me. And since I have my ipod on and the machine running they have to wave their arms and jump up and down (my strategy to keep them away).

While I'd love a more formal shop atmosphere, I do appreciate being able to skip on over for 30 minutes late in the evening to ready things for the next day. It's convenient. A commute would take that away and I'm not sure worth the increased customer base. But then again, family would become a bit more self-reliant I would think.

Good Luck with your decision.

I think Shana's pro's and con's lists are a great idea. Being form California, the commute is a no-brainer and wouldn't affect my decision. I'm used to it, but in other parts of the country, commuting is a big deal. The other factors would be my deciding points. How much the kids would need you, etc. You can set your own hours, but will that work around their schedules?

The business advice is spot on. Although this sounds like a great opportunity to get more customers, can you quilt while classes are going on? Do you have a partition or a way to keep the curious out of your stuff? How many interuptions will occur while you're trying to work? (I know someone who closed her shop because she couldn't get any quilting done.) Insurance? Any hidden work issues? Is she thinking of getting a longarm in the long-term? Becoming a dealer? Or starting to offer quilting services as a side service to make additional money for the store at a later date? (Happened to me.)Lots to consider before taking the plunge. Sure would be nice if it was closer to you. Then you could be home if you needed to be in a flash.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

I think Shana's pro's and con's lists are a great idea. Being form California, the commute is a no-brainer and wouldn't affect my decision. I'm used to it, but in other parts of the country, commuting is a big deal. The other factors would be my deciding points. How much the kids would need you, etc. You can set your own hours, but will that work around their schedules?

The business advice is spot on. Although this sounds like a great opportunity to get more customers, can you quilt while classes are going on? Do you have a partition or a way to keep the curious out of your stuff? How many interuptions will occur while you're trying to work? (I know someone who closed her shop because she couldn't get any quilting done.) Insurance? Any hidden work issues? Is she thinking of getting a longarm in the long-term? Becoming a dealer? Or starting to offer quilting services as a side service to make additional money for the store at a later date? (Happened to me.)Lots to consider before taking the plunge. Sure would be nice if it was closer to you. Then you could be home if you needed to be in a flash.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

LOTS of great advice here - - love this forum! My LA is in the middle of the living room right now, and probably will be for a couple of more years. I would like a space seperate from the house / family.... but love being able to quilt and still be apart of things too....

I do not want to work over 8 hrs a day a stress about it. I want to have fun and still enjoy quilting - always - I love it. I would not like people interupting me. I jump and freak-out if someone walks up behind me, I like to quilt alone.

Being home is great when the girls come home from school, I stop and we talk about their day. Also - appointments and sick days.... quilting in p.j.'s... love being able to do all of those things!!

I hope someday to either more it all into the basement when we finish it off, or build a different studio on our property. Maybe I would move into a store front with my husband... Could you see that Tattoos and Quilting!!??!?!! I can!!! :cool::cool:

LOTS of great advice here - - love this forum! My LA is in the middle of the living room right now, and probably will be for a couple of more years. I would like a space seperate from the house / family.... but love being able to quilt and still be apart of things too....

I do not want to work over 8 hrs a day a stress about it. I want to have fun and still enjoy quilting - always - I love it. I would not like people interupting me. I jump and freak-out if someone walks up behind me, I like to quilt alone.

Being home is great when the girls come home from school, I stop and we talk about their day. Also - appointments and sick days.... quilting in p.j.'s... love being able to do all of those things!!

I hope someday to either more it all into the basement when we finish it off, or build a different studio on our property. Maybe I would move into a store front with my husband... Could you see that Tattoos and Quilting!!??!?!! I can!!! :cool::cool:

Thanks for all the great advice!!!! I really appreciate the time you all took to post to this.

The gal called me today wondering if I talked to my husband (which I did) and went over pros and cons of this with him. There were too many cons (mainly the kids and the distance/time involved with other factors). She certainly understood. I told her that I would still talk it over and see about possible using some of her space a day or two a week for an even reduced amount of rent as a consultation spot for dropping off/picking up quilts. She sells to a range of quilter's that I know wouldn't come to my town (it would be too far). I'm also thinking of using a spot there for batting deliveries/storage and possibly selling Superior Threads (no one around here sells this or very little stock) with her. I'm still concerned that it wouldn't pay but it's one of those things that I wouldn't know in advance. I'm still debating it.

I like being at home and working around the kids schedule (which is always hectic), like being available for emergencies, like the kids coming down to say hi or to see what I'm working on or just to bug me! I can handle the lack of space that my long arm and all it's accessories take up - it's looks like a working mom's home (who's a quilter)!!

Thanks for all the great advice!!!! I really appreciate the time you all took to post to this.

The gal called me today wondering if I talked to my husband (which I did) and went over pros and cons of this with him. There were too many cons (mainly the kids and the distance/time involved with other factors). She certainly understood. I told her that I would still talk it over and see about possible using some of her space a day or two a week for an even reduced amount of rent as a consultation spot for dropping off/picking up quilts. She sells to a range of quilter's that I know wouldn't come to my town (it would be too far). I'm also thinking of using a spot there for batting deliveries/storage and possibly selling Superior Threads (no one around here sells this or very little stock) with her. I'm still concerned that it wouldn't pay but it's one of those things that I wouldn't know in advance. I'm still debating it.

I like being at home and working around the kids schedule (which is always hectic), like being available for emergencies, like the kids coming down to say hi or to see what I'm working on or just to bug me! I can handle the lack of space that my long arm and all it's accessories take up - it's looks like a working mom's home (who's a quilter)!!

Roseann -

Only you know what is the right decision for you.

For the record, though, this would have been the right decision for me, too. You can always quilt - but you won't always have those kids around. The time with them is limited...and priceless. You won't be sorry!

Meg

Roseann -

Only you know what is the right decision for you.

For the record, though, this would have been the right decision for me, too. You can always quilt - but you won't always have those kids around. The time with them is limited...and priceless. You won't be sorry!

Meg

Archived