Thread Breakage Headache!

Hello there, I've got one of those projects from hell that is keeping me up at night and I am hoping someone has some ideas! I have already tried every tip I can find in the manual and on the forum for thread breakage problems.

I am using Aurifil 50 wt thread on top and bottom line prewound bobbins on the bottom. This has never been a problem before, but for some reason it's a problem now! My top thread keeps breaking. IIt stitches fine for a good 10 minutes or more sometimes and then breaks with a pretty clean slice. Sometimes it seems like it happens at a seam, and other times it's just random.

I am doing very dense stitching, and I don't know if this matters. I have tried:

-Change needle (several times)

-Check for burrs on hook, file down with emory board

-Oil bobbin case and other oil points

-Clean and blow out bobbin

-Rethread

-Loosen top tension

-Slow down my speed of quilting

What else is there to check? I have broken a needle before, but I have very carefully filed everything down. I am ordering a new hook assembly tomorrow if I can't find a solution. I've gotta get this quilt done like YESTERDAY so I am really hoping I don't have to do that and then mess with all of the re-timing. I don't know what else to do, I am about to break down and lose it!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer!

Hello there, I've got one of those projects from hell that is keeping me up at night and I am hoping someone has some ideas! I have already tried every tip I can find in the manual and on the forum for thread breakage problems.

I am using Aurifil 50 wt thread on top and bottom line prewound bobbins on the bottom. This has never been a problem before, but for some reason it's a problem now! My top thread keeps breaking. IIt stitches fine for a good 10 minutes or more sometimes and then breaks with a pretty clean slice. Sometimes it seems like it happens at a seam, and other times it's just random.

I am doing very dense stitching, and I don't know if this matters. I have tried:

-Change needle (several times)

-Check for burrs on hook, file down with emory board

-Oil bobbin case and other oil points

-Clean and blow out bobbin

-Rethread

-Loosen top tension

-Slow down my speed of quilting

What else is there to check? I have broken a needle before, but I have very carefully filed everything down. I am ordering a new hook assembly tomorrow if I can't find a solution. I've gotta get this quilt done like YESTERDAY so I am really hoping I don't have to do that and then mess with all of the re-timing. I don't know what else to do, I am about to break down and lose it!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer!

When the thread breaks, take the end and bring it down to the eye of the needle. If the thread is breaking before the needle, you are catching on something above the needle plate. It's either a burr/groove on a pigtail guide, a bad needle, or a burr on the hole in the needle plate. Or if the top thread is loose, it can fling out and catch on a screw head or wrap around another part and snap.

If it is breaking below the needle plate, there is something rough on the hook still and use a magnifying glass and your fingers to find the rough spot. If you have fiddled with your timing recently, check that the hook retaining finger is positioned properly. If it is pushed in too far, it can catch (squeeze) the bobbin thread and the bobbin thread will snap the top thread. Especially BL since it is so strong.

Good luck finding the source of the problem and let us know what worked. Hang in there!

I also echo a liberal application of Sewer's Aid--both top and bobbin--to maybe ease you through this quilt.

When the thread breaks, take the end and bring it down to the eye of the needle. If the thread is breaking before the needle, you are catching on something above the needle plate. It's either a burr/groove on a pigtail guide, a bad needle, or a burr on the hole in the needle plate. Or if the top thread is loose, it can fling out and catch on a screw head or wrap around another part and snap.

If it is breaking below the needle plate, there is something rough on the hook still and use a magnifying glass and your fingers to find the rough spot. If you have fiddled with your timing recently, check that the hook retaining finger is positioned properly. If it is pushed in too far, it can catch (squeeze) the bobbin thread and the bobbin thread will snap the top thread. Especially BL since it is so strong.

Good luck finding the source of the problem and let us know what worked. Hang in there!

I also echo a liberal application of Sewer's Aid--both top and bobbin--to maybe ease you through this quilt.

Ahhhh finally I can sleep tonight. I tried using the Aurifil on the bobbin thread, and that did the trick! Why didn't I think of that before?? I feel pretty silly for not thinking of that after all that I tried!

What a relief...thank you soooooo much for all of your responses!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Ahhhh finally I can sleep tonight. I tried using the Aurifil on the bobbin thread, and that did the trick! Why didn't I think of that before?? I feel pretty silly for not thinking of that after all that I tried!

What a relief...thank you soooooo much for all of your responses!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Archived