Moda Bake Shop~ Quilted shower curtain!

Guest LA

I came across this fun project & thought I would share the link, sometimes just changing out a shower curtain can make a bathroom look like a new room without spending alot. (I often find that shower curtains can be pretty boring or limited, kind of like a hotel chain!)

I am already thinking of making them for family & friends, now just have to "visit" their bathrooms to make sure I've got right color scheme etc. :cool:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/lattice-garden-shower-curtain.html#more

Won't they look great quilted up & SOoo easy on our machines!:)

I came across this fun project & thought I would share the link, sometimes just changing out a shower curtain can make a bathroom look like a new room without spending alot. (I often find that shower curtains can be pretty boring or limited, kind of like a hotel chain!)

I am already thinking of making them for family & friends, now just have to "visit" their bathrooms to make sure I've got right color scheme etc. :cool:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/06/lattice-garden-shower-curtain.html#more

Won't they look great quilted up & SOoo easy on our machines!:)

Thanks for sharing, Linda! I actually just got some really cool camping theme fabric and am planning to make a shower curtain for our trailer. I was also thinking of using the fusible vinyl on it, as well as a liner. Has anyone used the fusible vinyl before?

Thanks for sharing, Linda! I actually just got some really cool camping theme fabric and am planning to make a shower curtain for our trailer. I was also thinking of using the fusible vinyl on it, as well as a liner. Has anyone used the fusible vinyl before?

i've used fusible vinyl....it's not the same as 'oil cloth'...it doesn't act the same....but it is easy to fuse. just be really careful where you iron. i messed up the front the first time i used it. just read AND follow the manufactuer's directions.

oh, and if you sew it (i used it in a tote) it will stick to the bed of your machine, so you'll have to put some of the release paper on the bed of your machine. also a larer sized needle will keep your thread from breaking.

i've used fusible vinyl....it's not the same as 'oil cloth'...it doesn't act the same....but it is easy to fuse. just be really careful where you iron. i messed up the front the first time i used it. just read AND follow the manufactuer's directions.

oh, and if you sew it (i used it in a tote) it will stick to the bed of your machine, so you'll have to put some of the release paper on the bed of your machine. also a larer sized needle will keep your thread from breaking.

I am too lazy to tackle this, I was just going to buy a clear shower curtain liner, I can wash the quilted curtain & toss the liner when it wears out. That's my plan any way! :)

I am too lazy to tackle this, I was just going to buy a clear shower curtain liner, I can wash the quilted curtain & toss the liner when it wears out. That's my plan any way! :)

Hi Dory,

I think I might be inclined to use a very thin batting like Thermore & put a fabric backing on it, otherwise when it's washed it would fray & ravel all over the place.

Hi Dory,

I think I might be inclined to use a very thin batting like Thermore & put a fabric backing on it, otherwise when it's washed it would fray & ravel all over the place.

Sorry,, just re-read your question, you should be fine with just a backing, you might want to double check the tension before you commit to your project etc, but it should be fine! :)

Sorry,, just re-read your question, you should be fine with just a backing, you might want to double check the tension before you commit to your project etc, but it should be fine! :)

Great idea! Very pretty shower curtain, Linda. I like that you can use some luscious fabric in one piece if you like.

I would also use a plastic liner. Then you can change that out when it gets tired.

The huge grommets they use for the curtains are pricey. Try to find them on-line or at a discount. Or use those Ikea curtain hangers--the small clamps with an attached ring. No sewing or installation involved.

Thanks for sharing!

Great idea! Very pretty shower curtain, Linda. I like that you can use some luscious fabric in one piece if you like.

I would also use a plastic liner. Then you can change that out when it gets tired.

The huge grommets they use for the curtains are pricey. Try to find them on-line or at a discount. Or use those Ikea curtain hangers--the small clamps with an attached ring. No sewing or installation involved.

Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Thanks for sharing!

I am leaning towards just using the liner, too. In the past, I have made buttonholes for the rings to go through. I'll share pics when I get mine done!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Thanks for sharing!

I am leaning towards just using the liner, too. In the past, I have made buttonholes for the rings to go through. I'll share pics when I get mine done!

I did a (batik) pieced shower curtain for a friend. SHe loves it and uses a vinyl linner to protect it. It had a batik backing with (prewashed)muslin as the batting. It seems to me that Bonnie suggested a light weight batting but it wasn't available to me at the time. I was also warned that regular batting would be heavy if it accidently got wet. It can be a challenge to get the tension set as there is no batting to sink the stitches into...if that makes sense. It looked great.

Archived