pattern boards

The Circle Lord Giant Templates come in a set specific to the size table that you have. Michael has Queen, Queen-1/2, and King size. You would want a set that extends the length of the table (or largest size quilt that you can quilt) so that you don't have to leap frog the boards and can stitch continuously from one side to the other, and then back to the starting side if you choose to stitch in both directions. My table is 11 feet so I use the Queen-1/2 length. One advantage to having the templates extend the width of the table/quilt is that when you roll the quilt you can check that the design placement will be exactly where you want it to line up with the previous row of the design. I always check multiple places across the quilt to assure the quilt is rolled evenly and the design lines up. If necessary I can tweek the quilt/design placement by hand tightening or loosening the quilt to get everything lined up. I hope that makes sense.

Bonnie,

I do have to warn you about the long boards with the front mount. I have both the Tooper and the Quiltazoid but currently neither of the arms with these will stitch more than 12" accross a board. I had one of my engineers make a longer arm for me so that I could do the long boards from the front too. I'm still hoping that Adam will have time to design a long arm for the Quiltazoid. I think it would be wonderful!

thanks Heidi, Do you find it very time comsuming to use the long board on the front and more issues with alining it? I figure it may be just faster if you use them on the back. I don't know it is all a mystery to me yet.

Will continue to check it out. Trying to decide if I want the QZ or Circle Lord.

I use them from the back and buy 4 boards...this will cover most quilts out to king sized....but if I happen to get the huge bugger, i will just move the first board to the last slot and then back when starting the next row.

I think when working from the front with the boards, even if there is a longer arm, you would have to move the unit that supports the board. The longer arm would allow you to stitch a longer length before having to move the unit. Also, I think if your table is up against the wall to the left of the machine head (when standing at the front), you may be limited by that in connection with the width of the quilt since you would have to get the unit set up to the left of the quilt top.

I don't have the QZ or Topper, so don't know how they function or exactly how they sit on the table, and I've been on a long road trip over two weeks and haven't fully recovered yet so might not be 100% up to speed on thinking how the longer boards will work from the front. :D

Originally posted by Bonnie in Ok

thanks Heidi, Do you find it very time comsuming to use the long board on the front and more issues with alining it? I figure it may be just faster if you use them on the back. I don't know it is all a mystery to me yet.

Will continue to check it out. Trying to decide if I want the QZ or Circle Lord.

I'd say there are advantages and disadvantages. Yes I would imagine it is a little quicker to work with one row the full length and then just stitch. The downside is it would cost more because you would have to buy more boards. I can switch it out very quickly. I stop with needle down lift the sylus and slide the topper along. Remember I do have a longer arm from my topper that is not part of normal topper. For me it is very simple and the way I like to roll. I like being at the front because if I have a problem quilt I can tame it as I go. Using the quiltazoid with the smaller boards is simple too. I can do beadboarding, cross hatching and swags really quickly and I love the accuracy I get. I'm right up front so I can see if there are any problems. Since I only need one board I can have a bigger variety!

Disign boards are just about all I ever do from the back. I buy 3 or 4 of the RnS boards. It is not too bad to leap frog one back and forth if doing a biggie. I think RnS will make longer boards too. The price is certainly right.

I can't justify the Ka-chings from CL, but for you in the business they are pretty easy to justify. Time is money.

Archived