Thread Sucked into Machine

So I have heard about this happening...I know there is a special cover to use so that this does not happen...but I never thought it would happen to me!!! I was sewing along and the thread broke ....I look up and see the spool is feeding right into the wheel. I have removed the side cover of the machine and unwound yards and yards and yards and more yards of thread.

My problem is there is still some thread wrapped tight that I can not get out. I ran the machine for a second trying to maybe loosen the wrapped thread...no luck.

Any suggestions? The crack where the thread is wrapped is so narrow I can't seem to find any tools to get down in there. Think it is ok to keep quilting with the thread in there and call the factory tomorrow? The machine seems to run smooth and sounds ok.

Jennifer in Indiana

Millenium

I would try all I could to get that thread out. Maybe if you could unplug the machine - don't want you lighting up - and take something with a point and move the fly wheel backward, to try to un-wind the thread. Once you can get an end sticking out you should be able to get it all out. This is the voice of experience;) I did that about 4 times before I ordered a fly wheel cover. I even tried double stick tape around the slit in the machine where the thread gets sucked in. No problems now!!:):)

Jennifer:

This is something that happens and the reason for the Hartley Flywheel Cover.

Remove the left front side of your machine. You can remove the thread using a thin hemostat. You might want to use a Xacto knife to cut the thread. The APQS has enough clearance to get to the thread. If you have a challenge or need help give me a call at our studio.

If you would like a Hartley Flywheel cover I keep them in stock, they are $15.00 including shipping and handling. We also stock needles, bobbins and bobbin cases and the wear items on APQS machines (currently no shipping or handling charges with a $15 minimum order). Contact us here at Country Lane Quilting countrylanequilting@mail.com or 816-350-2002.

Before the FW cover we used to use Velcro beside the flywheel (not always effective).

John

Hay Jen:

That happened to me the last time I cleaned the milli., I got most (I think) of the thread out (know way to know how much thread is in there :(). Then I quilted a whole quilt with out a problem.

That fly wheel cover is only 14.95 just one more of the things I will be picking up at the convention in Tacama.

My DH keeps telling me I can only bring home 250.00 through customs duty free. ;) not sure how I'm going to that.

Thank You Everyone. I think I got all the thread out finally! The Exacto knive did the trick!! Of course it was a king size quilt on the machine. I feel like I invented a new yoga stand to work on the darn thing!

Thank you again! ( and I will be getting a Flywheel cover!)

Hey John,

Speaking of the flywheel cover. You know the three hole thread guide that just next to the flywheel cover. It is loose. Is that okay? It usually is positioned almost straight up and down instead of at an angle or horizontal. If I try to tighten it, of course it hits the flywheel cover. So far my tension seems right so I have not been too worried about it. But I know when my tension was not right, I went through the book and it said that even a thread guide, out of position, could give you all kinds of trouble. Do you think I should be concerned? And if so, how do I tighten that guide?

Also, do you all stock the pre-wound bobbins that come with our machines from the factory?? I think they are Coats and Clark Poly.

Thank you for your help - you guys are the best!!

I have had to call Connie and get help getting a load of thread out of the machine. Still......I like to be able to use the flywheel. Maybe there is another adjustment that needs to be made, so that I don't need access to the flywheel.

Here's what happens on occasion: I start the machine up and immediately I can hear the needle up/down motor running.....and running....and running. I turn the machine off and restart it and this takes is a cure 99% of the time. I know that there is a timing screw to fiddle with if the up/down isn't working properly, but for me it is working when I haven't asked it to. At least I don't think I asked it to. Might have something to do with the way I shut the machine down.

Now that I think about it.....I think I sometimes, though rarely, give the needle a little help to penetrate the cloth, especially at a cluster of seams.

Am I doing something wrong?

MB

This is one of the challenges with the FW cover. If you want to tighten the guide or remove the right side cover you have to remove the FW cover (scrape the double stick take off of the cover and machine if necessary and replace the double stick tape, is available at Deals or the dollar store normally). the longer double stick tape is on the stronger it gets.

For position of the three hole guide see this link http://apqs.com/photosl4.htm

The guide should be at 8 o?clock

If one more turn clockwise is too tight I put a piece of thread in the hole and screw the guide in. This acts to hold it in place. There are other ways but this should be the easiest for you.

Janet and Mary take care of all the thread orders and they are in Duluth at "Quilting of the Waterfront" this weekend. I'll ask them to let you know I'm sure they have your #.

Call me if you need more help.

John

Mary Beth,

I just got my pre-wound Coats bobbins from APQS. They are

poly and quite a bit cheaper than Superior. I love Bobs but

at $3.00 a dozen difference, I thought I would give them a

try. I ordered the colors that I can't get from Superior. I'll

post when I have used them on a quilt.

Then I went to the local Gammill shop and got some training

on using my bobbin winder. My bobbins sometimes come

out so gnarled and loopy looking, I just want to throw them

away. Joann, at the Quilted Rose here in San Diego,

showed me that I need to pull the thread thru the hole

above the tension disks on the bobbin winder and then

straight down and under the tension disks. Pull the thread

up on the other side of the tension disks and over ensuring

that the thread is in between the disks. You can loosen or

tighten the disks tension as necessary. I wound 2 sets of

bobbins last night and they were straight and firmly packed.

Woohoo.

Now, about the Hartley Flywheel cover, this is a MUST HAVE.

It is awful how the thread gets sucked in to that hole. When

I took mine apart, it was like a rats nest in there, so much

thread. While that is icky by itself, the thread was steeped

in the oil that I have been putting into the wicks at the top

of the machine. So my machine was not getting the oil it

needed because the birds nest was soaking up the oil. You

really need the flywheel cover.

Linda, thank you for the reply. The bobbins that I used on this quilt were the bobbins that came with my machine a couple of years ago. They were a perfect match, and I thought there may not be enough, but I took my chances. I emailed Carla last night, but my email service is down, so I don't know if she responded. I will call to order some in them morning. I really like these bobbins, but I have just surfed about every site I can find, and all they have are black or white. I think this one is an egg shell or ivory.

Gerry,

Having just returned from Quiltfest in Seattle on Sunday (which was fantastic), I have to tell you that the government has decreased our duty free to $200. However, on my purchases of $387 (since fabric made in the US is duty free) it only cost me $23 PST & GST. So let your DH know that you can come home with all the gadgets that you need!

I had an opportunity to meet Sherry Rogers-Harrison, (name removed) and Cheryl Uribe. All were wonderful, warm, friendly and made me feel like I was part of something very special!

Just an FYI, I have my flywheel covered but the thread still gets sucked in the thread guide slot, the one that goes up and down..and you can't cover that..so the Velcro trick sounds good to me. I have had it sucked in the thread guide slot numerous time with the cover on my flywheel..just a word of warning, you are not completely safe with the flywheel covered. :(

Hester

I love the pre-wound bobbins. I was having some problems with a bobbin that I wound myself and when I switched over to the pre-wound bobbins, the stitching was perfect. The last time I worked on a quilt, though, some thread got tangled up in the bobbin area. I managed to get it out with a pair of tweezers. I am just hoping that I got it all. Has this happened to anyone else?

Teresa,

You are so nice...I placed an order with APQS this morning and since I could not get the person I talked to to run the bobbins to Kansas City, I will settle for getting them on Monday or so. This will give me a chance to organize my quilt studio and maybe work on my daughter's quilt, (since it was suppose to be a wedding present).

Thank you so much for offering, that was very kind.

Archived