my thread was breaking- problem solved

i was having some thread breaking issues (my thread was shredding) and thought i would share what i figured out:

i cleaned my bobbin area and couldn't remember the last time i took my ruler base off and cleaned underneath it...after i took off the ruler base i noticed that my retaining finger was too far into the notch, so i moved it back a bit. then i noticed i had a nick in the hole (where the needle goes through) of my ruler base. using a pair of old paper scissors, i cut a skinny strip of very fine, polishing grit sandpaper and 'buffed' out the nick as well as polished the inside of the hole: i used the skinny strip of sandpaper to 'floss' the edges of the hole...

that seems to have fixed my problem...maybe this will help someone else.

Originally posted by doodlebug

it's just a simple E2E with a flange in the border :(

What's the deal with those flanges? I up my price a half a cent when they want an E2E and have a flange. It's like quilting two separate areas and always need SID to make them lay right.

They seemed to be falling out of favor this last year, but now I have four in line with flanges again.

I like the look, just am not crazy about the SID. I have LQS--Lazy-Quilter Syndrome, you know?:P

LQS- i like it....but it might be confused with Local Quilt Shop, so we should re-acronym it to LLAS lazy long arm syndrome

okay- i'm going to take a break and go fling some arrows with my new bow :cool:

ps i hate flanges also and increase my price per sq inch for it..

It looks like you are using a swirls pattern board. Am I right? If so, is it from CL or Quiltazoid? Just curious.

I haven't quilted anything with a flange, except something that was custom, so it was not an issue. Thanks for the explanation, but it really seems like a PITA to do. When you get to the edge of the flange, what do you do? Tie off in some manor, or do you SID to get to the next spot where you can begin quilting again? I'm not sure how to handle that situation and would love to know, in case I find myself in one. It sure seems like it would be lots of starts and stops. Would you re-start again in the border, or would you do a different border treatment?

I don't like those flanges at all! A lot of times they are pulled too tight and the seam is very hard to deal with. I just can't figure out why they want them there. I'm sure it is so they don't have to piece in a 1/4" border but the way they looked after quilting isn't that appealing. I had to SID te one I did and then I still had to give it a steam when t was quilted to make it behave completely.

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

Hey Shannon, Are ya be a hunter or a target shooter?

dave- i'm a target shooter right now, but davis says i'm good enuf already to hunt...i won't, as i feel like my yardage judgement is questionable and my sight pins are off...gun season starts this weekend, so i'll be in the woods on the weekends til the end of the year! *ya* :D

Originally posted by sandradarlington

It looks like you are using a swirls pattern board. Am I right? If so, is it from CL or Quiltazoid? Just curious.

I haven't quilted anything with a flange, except something that was custom, so it was not an issue. Thanks for the explanation, but it really seems like a PITA to do. When you get to the edge of the flange, what do you do? Tie off in some manor, or do you SID to get to the next spot where you can begin quilting again? I'm not sure how to handle that situation and would love to know, in case I find myself in one. It sure seems like it would be lots of starts and stops. Would you re-start again in the border, or would you do a different border treatment?

hey sandra- i do all my quilting free hand- the design is my own concoction i call cotton candy...

since the flange is 3D and i don't want to quilt it down- (i'm doing the same design E2E) i quilt each border, hiding my knots in the binding seam allowance. i find it's easier to quilt inside the flange that way, it keeps the hopping foot from moving the bulky seam allowance and distorting the sema line. when i quilt inside the flange, i hide my knot under the flange. i'm not SIDing this one, as the budget doesn't allow...

hope that helps

post--13461904875365_thumb.jpg

Archived