tips for quilting applique

Hi Michelle. I have quilted several machine applique quilts and have had great luck with them. The very talented gang on this site recommended that I outline all of the appliques with monofilament thread and they were right, that really works great. I SID the blocks and sashing and then outline each applique, plus if the pieces are fairly large, I also quilt a design in that piece. It works great! :)

Originally posted by CrazyAboutQuilting

Hi Michelle. I have quilted several machine applique quilts and have had great luck with them. The very talented gang on this site recommended that I outline all of the appliques with monofilament thread and they were right, that really works great. I SID the blocks and sashing and then outline each applique, plus if the pieces are fairly large, I also quilt a design in that piece. It works great! :)

Do you outline on the applique or in the background close to the applique?

Guest Linda S

I outline all the applique and then usually will quilt on the applique'd pieces. However, sometimes you will get a customer who asks you not to quilt on her applique. I do what they ask, but I'd prefer they not identify me if I don't get to quilt on it.

Linda

I'm with Linda! I think quilting enhances and defines the applique. I use monofilament thread, Deloa's Appliguide and my extended base. Go really slow and it becomes almost a zen thing. :D One of my friends does beautiful applique. She used to say "don't quilt on my applique" until she had some large pieces that sagged badly without quilting. She has since changed her tune!

Here's the link to Deloa's Appliguide:

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloasonlinestore/appliguide.html

I agree with all of the above, I do lots of applique quilting and use Deloa's appliguide and the micro drive handles all the time. I quilt as close as I can to the edge of the applique and on the applique itself if it is large and needs to be nailed down and if quilting can add some fun details to help it look good, I try to be careful not to overwhelm the applique with too much quilting. I find that for background, either traditional crosshatching or McTavishing works well to make that applique pop..

Hi Michell, I do a lot of applique quilts and I do as the other ladies here. I out line them and as they are my own quilts I do what I want with the inside. What ever I think looks best for the design.

If you recieve the{Machine Quilting Unlimited} Mag. You will find a wonderful lesson by Barbara Hollinger on quilting Applique Quilts. She is a wonderful quilter and you can gleen a lot of knowledge from this article.

Try not to get too uptight about it your doing this for fun and remember its the quilting that you do in the block around the applique that makes your designs stand out. ;)

Carolj.

Archived