bobbin winder

Does anyone know where to get a plastic sleeve to go over my thread cone when I am trying to wind my bobbins on the bobbin winders? It seems like every new bobbin I put in my millie I have a tension problem. I wonder if pre-wound bobbins would be better for me. Does anyone have a trick for checking your stitching under the quilt while you are quilting? I have a hard time getting on my hands and knees and checking, then when I am done with the quilt I find problem with the bottom, ie railroad tracks and then I have to rip out stitches. I am getting frustrated with the tension problems. I checked the stitches in the beginning my thread keeps breaking. I am using glide today and I like it but I had a lot of breakage. Is this normal? On average how many times do you have your thread break when you are doing a quilt/

I am on my 7th quilt and am ready to scream.

Thanks,

Denise

You can get netting from any where that sells surger machines. or you can send me your address and I can send you some.

I hold on to the thread as it winds on to the bobbins , this ads some tension

get a mirror mounted on a long handle from the auto parts store to look at the back of your quilt.

Hope this helps some.

You can also get the nets from Superior threads..very inexpensive, but I also put a little square of batting on the hook that hold the thread after it comes off the cone, that seems to give it some tension as well as it is winding onto the bobbin. But I do prefer to use prewounds and just discovered the fil tecs and love them. I only wind when I need a color that I don't have in my prewound stash.

Stick with it. I had this problem in the beginning too. It gradually got better and is no longer much of an issue, knock on wood.

I crawl down on my hands and knees with a flashlight to check. Since that is difficult for you, you can always roll the quilt forward and walk to the back of the machine to see the back close up. Takes some time, but I get frustrated with mirrors, and don't trust my fingernail check.

If you can do a tension check every time you start on a small piece of fabric off the edge of the quilt top, but on the quilt backing that you are using, and manage to fold it over to examine it before you start, that might help too.

I hear your frustration!! I have had my Millie since July, so am pretty new to this world, too.

This is what helped me, and now I have very little thread breakage.

Loosen up both tensions ALOT!!! Then tighten them up gradually until you like the results. I use 40 weight on the bottom and 50 on the top. What size needle? 3.5 or 4.0?

Blow out your bobbin case with canned air or a small air compresser every time you change your bobbin and follow the daily maintenance they recommend.

Don't have your quilt batt too tight. I could have bounced coins on mine, and until I was reading troubleshooting on tension, I didn't realize how loose the quilt sandwich really needed to be. You should see the base of your machine move like a mole underground-you should see the base like a bit of a hump move under your fabric. This really made a difference in the quilt stitch quality.

Are you using the cross wound spools or regular wound-they need different thread holders for the thread to come off the spool right, and I always check for correct threading of the machine when I have a break, as sometimes the thread will flip over one of the bracketts.

Hope some of these suggestions help. fI use Glide as well and the Magna glide bobbins.

If you go to the trouble shooting areas on this forum, it is filled with wonderful advice.

It is frustrating. May you soon be quilting stress-free soon. When everything is adjusted the machine is a dream to work with. Good Luck.

Let us know now you do, and if all fails, APQS is just a phone call away.

Joanne Flamand aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Design

Archived