Does anyone SIT and sew?

I was wondering if anyone sits to sew -- regular chair height, that is. I took a class today from a lady who sits in a regular chair all the time to sew.

If not, what is required to sit on one of the higher stools and sew? My Millennium table doesn't go down very far. Does the hydraulic lift allow it to go down lower?

Hugs, Joy

Joy:

We carry a saddle stool that many APQS owners like. It has adjustable height and tilt. I'm sure you will get many responses from quilters on what works for them.

The Hydraulic Lift actually raises the lowest table height a bit. There have been suggestions from owners to make the legs shorter and this (like many owner suggestions) is being looked at.

John

Hi Joy - Yes, when I bought my Milli from (name removed), she has a saddle chair and had me sit on it. Well, I quickly ordered one for my self and I sit on it to work both on the Milli & my DSM. I sit a bit taller for the DSM, but I found that I can see better by doing so. It also makes you sit with good posture. A plus for me who tends to slouch and get sore shoulders because of it. Love the saddle chairs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hello Joy

I have sat to quilt for the past 4 years. I modified my Gammill to sit but of course you need no modification to sit and sew at the APQS machines. I use a drafting chair on wheels. The drafting chair is made to go MUCH taller then an office chair so it really doesnt matter the height of the machine. It was a much more affordable option for me then getting the hydrolics and I personally prefer the back support over the saddle stool. I bought mine at an office supply store for less then 100.00. I will never stand to quilt again!

Guest Linda S

I also have the saddle stool. I use it all the time when doing custom work. I just dance at the back of the machine if I do a panto, but if I'm quilting from the front, I'm generally sitting down.

Linda

Wow! I am really surprised to read that so many of you sit while quilting. How do you move from side to side in a chair/stool? Do you push yourself along with your feet, stand up and move, or what. I don't see any way you could put your stool in one place and do the whole width of the quilt. I'm assuming these stools and chairs have wheels. Also assuming you sit up high off the floor.

I'm in an office chair now with wheels and I can easily move around in it. But, I don't know how I could do that if it was barstool height and my feet did not touch the floor.

Also, I have put those thick rubber mats down where I stand. How would a chair roll/scoot over those?

Do any of you have pictures you can show me of you sitting and quilting???? :)

Hugs, Joy

Guest Linda S

Hi Joy - I don't have any pictures of my sitting and quilting, but my saddle stool does have wheels and as I finish an area, I just put my foot down and push myself over. I'm about 5'8" though, so I have have legs long enough to reach the floor from my perch. Actually, I don't have the stool all the way up to its highest height. I get a crick in my neck if I do that.

Linda

P.S. forgot to say that I am not a speed quilter. I take my time, so moving from one spot to another is not a problem.

I have pictures somewhere. I'll look when I finish quilting for the day. I place my feet on the batting bar that is offered by APQS. This keeps me steady and keeps me where I need to be. When I am done quilting the area I am working at, I push myself along via the poles to the next area. My feet never touch the ground. My machine is on carpet so I use the lexon table top on the floor under my chair. Lexon is unbreakable...been using it for years. Hope this helps.

I had a drafting chair with my gammill, but never used it. I wasn't comfortable. I stood then and I stand now with my Millie. I have found wearing Dansko professional clogs have been the best for aching feet and knees. They are expensive $119ish...all the chefs wear them...my daughter trained as a Pastry Chef and found out about them. No...she doesn't bake anymore...she is a French major at UVA...oh well...I do the cake decorating business on the side.

I would like to sit in the saddle chair one day to see if it is comfortable enough for me.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

My saddle stool arrived the same week as my machine.

I have a lower back injury, so comfort is number one priority. The saddle stool forces me to sit up straight. I must admit it took a bit of getting used to but now I wouldn't go without it.

I am 6' tall so I have no problem pushing myself along as I go and my table is set very high.(I like to have my quilt right in my face.)

As for my feet when standing, I wear those Croc shoes. My studio floor is cement, but I can stand for long periods of time wearing those shoes. And you can really express yourself with their wide range of colors.

Hope that helps.

Have a great day

Laura Farnham

Green Millenium

Colorado Springs, Co.

Yes, I did just buy 3 pair of the flip-flop type of crocs. I've gotten lots of compliments on them and I really like them. My husband hates the look of the style with the holes in them, so I bought this style. There is plenty of room in them for my wide feet. Sure appreciate the tips about those.

Hugs, Joy

Archived