Commissioned Queen Size Quilt - Help

gable428

I'm halfway through a queen size quilt that I am piecing and then will quilt. It's for my boss and it's applique using ties he used to wear, which are being cut to look like actual ties in 9 x 12 blocks. How much should I charge him? I was thinking $500 and that would include the quilting [e2e panto], plus he will reimburse me for whatever fabric I have bought for the project. What do you all think? I know he will pay me good, but I want to be fair. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pricing a quilt from scratch is a hard subject. Since they will pay for the fabric separately, roughly $150 for the quilting, $80.00 for the binding, that leaves about $270.00 for the cutting and piecing. My guess is that is about $10.00 an hour. Like Linda, if that is acceptable (and a good boss), I would probably do it as well!!!

Jane

Just read the description again - applique with ties - I would just keep track of the actual time and charge at least $10.00 an hour.

Wow, when it's broken down by the hour like that, it sure isn't much, especially since it's a fraction of what I make in my real job. With that said though, he is a great boss. I've been keeping track of the hours so we will she what the final number ends up being:) Thanks for the responses ladies! Quilt on!

I made a quilt for a friend who commissioned me to make it for her.. I had stayed a week with her in Manhattan, so I was going to do it for a gift anyway..but she dictated the fabric and the pattern she wanted.. it was a queen with custom quilting. Had I given her an inv for my time it came out to $1100. including fabric.

Archived