skipped stitches

If the skipped stitches show needle holes, the hook is not picking up the thread. If the skipped stitches seem to happen in only one direction, like when you are stitching up and to the left, the needle is flexing away from the hook and no stitch is made. Your solution may be to turn the needle slightly to the left. If that doesn't help, you may need to check your timing--especially look to see that the needle just kisses the hook and that your needle depth is correct. Pictures are in the manual.

If there are no needle holes to show where the stitched are skipped, your SR encoder wheel may need to be adjusted. If the encoder wheel is not pushed in far enough, it doesn't sense to make a stitch when the machine moves.

I hope this made sense to you.

See what Dawn says in the FAQ section "Getting to know your machine" for a better explanation of needle flex and how it affects stitch quality.

Good luck and I hope you are fixed up and happily stitching soon.

Thank you, Thank you for the suggestions. This is a great forum that I have never taken advantage of before. I will certainly use this again. I cleaned the wheels again (I have Easy Rider) and it seems to have made a difference. I never imagined that dirty wheels could affect my stitch quality. I also think my problem has to do with the thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any 4.5 needles, so I am going slow and the problem only shows up 10% of the time instead of 80%. Also waiting a day or two to tackle this quilt again has made me fresh and less impatient. Unfortunately, it's an oversized king quilt so it's taking me a long time (I'm doing relatively heavy free hand work). I just can't wait until it's done and I can change back to So Fine!

I just had something happen to me yesterday, I had king tut and had only the first hole in the tensioner guide used to get the proper adjustment that I've used several times before. I had taken the tensioner off to do my service and clean the head and when I put it back on I had the spring a little higher than the 11:00 position and the thread was pulling in and out of the tensioner. I moved the hole to the furthest forward and adjusted my tensioner position a little and all is well. I thought I'd post this just in case anyone else had the problem.---Dave B.

Archived