Needle screw broke off

cjtinkle

I'm not sure, but isn't this where one would use a "tap screw" ? Himself says you have to screw it in and it will catch what is left of the broken screw, and then you unscrew it to get it out. He says it won't hurt the threads in the needle bar. They also have diff sizes so be sure to not get one too fat. Hope this works.

Edited: He also said you can get a drill bit that is definately smaller than the screw and drill it into the screw and that it should work in the same way, drill in, and reverse.

Good Luck!!

Hi CJ

The exact same thing happened to me a while back, luckily I had a tiny little bit sticking out minus the screw head, and my hubby managed to use a pair of "snipe nose plyers" to get a hold of the screw and twist it out. They are the plyers which have a skinny kind of "jaws"

(Some of this is terminology from my husband) - probably best to wait til hubby is back. I couldnt get a grip tight enough myself so had to get help !!!

Hope you manage to get sorted.

I spoke with hubby on the phone, he said the same thing a drill bit, but was a bit concerned about the itty bitty size of the drill bit needed and the stability of doing it with the machine in place... thinks he'll need to remove the needle bar to clamp it firmly on the work bench. Ugh... that means retiming the machine.

Oh no sorry that happened to you.

Question: Is the needle still stuck in there with the broken screw head? If not, do you have a spare needle screw? :) That is a VERY GOOD spare part to have on hand. If you do have one you can use the hole on the other side of the needle bar. Anyway good luck getting the broken screw out of there.

Archived