bobbin thread going crazy

I have been winding my own bobbins for this quilt and the last two bobbins I have wound I am having trouble with the first section of the bobbin thread bunching up on the bobbin like it wasn't wound correctly but after removing a few layers to where the thread is smooth again and put it back in the machine it sews fine. I am using the magic bobbin washers and tension seems to be good. I don't think I am winding the bobbin to full because there still is metal edge showing after the bobbin is wound. Hummm.. what might it be any ideas?

Not sure of course, but if winding your own, and you remove thread until it is smoothe" tells me the last bit wound on the bobbin is loose, not nice and snug.. I don't know what I'd do, stop winding so much, do not slow down near the end, so it stays at the right tension. My bobbins never fill to the top of the metal sides.. I am guessing it's so they aren't overfilled..

That is the only thing I can think of off hand. Good Luck,

You don't say how you are winding them. Do you have the stand alone turbo winder? Check to make sure the thread is in between the tension disks on the winder. It sound like you don't have enough tension on the winder. You can adjust that on the turbo winder.

What kind of thread is it? It may be slinging itself off the cone, also, and causing the bad sections of wind. Try putting a piece of batting in the thread guide andrun your thread between the guide and the batting, that will help to "tame" the thread.

Thanks for the advice and sorry I should have mentioned what I was winding with. Yes I have the turbo winder that came with the machine. The thread I am using is Highlights. I assume the little nut on the back side of the tension disk is what you turn to adjust the tension. I will try that and hopefully it will fix the loseness. The thread doesn't seem lose on the top of the wind all seems to be nice and smooth and tight.

Archived