printing 'fabric' with computer?

MaryLou5740

I purchased the whole set-up to be able to print pictures onto white fabric by using our computer printer. I purchased a solution called "Bubble Jet" that the fabric soaks in for 5 min. I laundered the fabric, dried it and then soaked the prescribed time. Next - ironed it to freezer paper sheets and printed it. They came thru the printer really nice. I was so enthused! Then the directions say to let these set for 30 min. and then rinse in cool water for 2 min. SURPRISE! The pictures washed out. Just a faint faint picture can barely be seen. I tried ironing several at the end of the 30 min "set" time before rinsing and they faded just the same...someone please help - I've got $50 invested and no quilt blocks.

Does you printer use Dye ink cartidges or Pigment ink cartrdges? This makes a difference in how the ink eventually holds to the fabric.

Old Canon and HP used Dye inks.

Most of the newer printers now use a pigment ink and these do not work as well!

It is 4 years since I was in the printer cartridge industry, so things may have changed but I have noticed the cartridges are still much the same.

Lyn

I have purchased the Bubble Jet set liquid, too. I tried it and had no luck even getting it to print from my printer. However, if you go to the website: http://www.softexpressions.com/help/faq/FAQbjs.htm#why, I think you might find some helpful information. It gives several reasons for why it might not be working correctly.

Hope you get it to work. It sure would be cheaper in the long run than using the inkjet printer ready sheets.

As Lyn said, you need to be certain that you are using the right printer cartridge with the Bubble Jet product. The new inks that work with HP and other printers need Bubble Jet that comes in a green bottle, while other inks can be used with the Bubble Jet that comes in a blue bottle.

There is also a rinse that can be used to help to set the ink, or you can also make your own by mixing water and fabric softener. (Google it, or check a book on photo printing)

I have taught several classes on photo printing, and have great success, and have also quilted several quilts made by people who have made photo quilts after making their own fabric with great success. Don't give up --- you can make it work with the right combination of products!

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/aboutus.asp

Like anything else, there is a learing curve. I have used this product for years and have no problems. But you must follow the directions exactly. If useing the bubble set liquid, I use the bubble jet set rinse as well. It is necessary to heat set before your rinse. Their web address is above, you can read a more exact set of instructions there.

Thank you SO MUCH! for your help. Will get on these other sites and check things out. I looked at our inks..it says it is inkjet...and bought new ones, thinking the colors might be old...The Bubblejet is in the blue label bottle..so that's likely wrong, too. I'm an artist, and wanted to copy my own pictures. I have enough done to do a bird quilt, jungle quilt, animals, angels, flowers, oriental, and Indian paisleys...So I have alot of pictures I had hoped to copy. You can imagine my disappointment when they faded out to nothing. I did try the heatset before rinsing - like the old crayon-type pictures - but it wasn't any different. Again, thanks all, for your time.

Will let you know how this turns out. I'm getting determined NOW!

Don't know if this is helpful but I took a class in Photo Transfer and the teacher told us that we should use DuraBrite inks. I haven't had any problems with fading since I got the Epson and the Durabrite Ink. (I think only Epson makes that kind of ink.)

Archived