New product

I order 2 rolls of the new product to fuse your batting together. Don't be duped!!! It's nothing more than non-woven interfacing cut into 10 yard strips. Buy your own at about 1/4 the price and cut the strips 1 1/2 inches wide. I paid $7.99 for a 10 yard roll plus shipping and bought 3 yards of interfacing for $10 and will get 45 yards of 1 1/2 inch strips. I think I got took. It's a great idea and is much better than sewing batting together. Don't use a hot iron because it will mess up the batting. Why didn't I think of fusing the batting together? Must be why someone else is rich and I am not!!

whatever you use, i suggest you have the interfacing on the back side of the batting. i inadvertantly used it face up towards the quilt top and i broke a couple of needles quilting on that. not saying it's a bad product...i'll use once more with it facing the backing of the quilt and see if it quilts without breaking a needle or two. i seldom have to splice/fuse battings together ... so may be a while before i can do this test.

Marie,

LOL I thought the same thing when I bought it and chalked it up to not figuring it out on my own! When I run out I'm doing exactly what you did and I'm going to cut it with my studio cutter so it won't look any different! Just make sure it is lightweight knit interfacing as that is the only way you won't end up with a very stiff section in your quilt.

I saw the product being demo'd at a quilt show last year. I almost bought it, too. The lady was using cotton batting for her demo and it got me wondering how it would work on QD Puff, since I recently had bought a roll of it. The lady in the demo said she preferred to use it on the cotton batting. She would not say I could use it on poly batting, and she would not say that I could not use it. In the end I decided not to get it.

I actually don't mind hand stitching batting together.

Originally posted by sspingler

It's just like someone marketing the small pony tail holders at triple the price to be used to hold the thread in bobbins.

Ahh yes - if only we had thought of it first. :cool::cool:

I agree, like to make my own if I can. I still keep hoping that I might just come up with a good "money making idea" so I could just quilt for myself......

Lady at the quilt shop was just showing me those rolls the other day and saying how she liked them so much. "Didn't make the batting any stiffer or anything"

If so - how could it break needles?

I wondered if this would feel hard or stiff after washing too? would you be able to notice it in there??

my only thought on why i had broken needles has to do with the fact that i had this product facing up, next to my quilt top. needle had to go through quilt top, then into this stuff, and on through the batting and backing. i believe this top side of the product is just a tad bit tighter weave than what actually goes next to the batting. and so the issue. but bear (he he) in mind that this is just my experience. and i do want to try it with the product on the underside of the batting and see how it goes.

I've used it, but I bought it wholesale from my distributor so it was cheaper. I used it on a very large quilt where I had to add a piece of batting to one side to make it bigger than 120" (yes it was a very very large quilt). I didn't have any problems with it getting stiff, couldn't even tell it was there. (had it on the top of the batting too).

Love the idea of making it myself though, still cheaper!!!

Archived