What was I thinking?!?!

Originally posted by sewhappy

New thread-Whats's your biggest "What was I thinking" moment/idea/purchase?

:P:P:P Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

My "WWIT"? My SECOND quilt as a longarmer was a "volunteer" which I offered to quilt for an LQS in exchange for them letting me leave some cards in the shop. I say "I will be happy to quilt a shop sample at no charge". She says "I have one already pin basted. Could you take that one?"

Sure!

She hands me the king-size top she made for her Thimbleberries BOM club. Needed it in a month. It had a zillion different blocks and four borders, including a nice checkerboard one.

Needless to say, I learned so much with this quilt. I sweated so much with this quilt. She was happy with it--and I still hate T-berries tops!!:P:P:P

I had a similar experience to Linda's. My very FIRST quilt for a customer...she is a very dear friend and she insisted I could do it. It was a Thimbleberries quilt with NINE borders. The border I remember distinctly was a flying geese border. And it was her grandson's wedding quilt. No pressure there! The quilt shop had sold her wide backing that was directional. Of course, it wasn't long enough when turned the proper direction, so we bought more and I pieced it. The quilt turned out fine and she was quite pleased, but it was definitely a learning experience for me!

Oh my you are brave...Mine was a customer quilt. It was her grandmothers and it was not stored right. She wanted it "restored/repaired" It was a SBS so not to complicated. The problem, she wanted it yesterday. Got it done, called her and was informed she did not and would not have the money for the balance due for a couple of months. I held it for 3 months. The last time I called her she informed me she was on vacation in Hawii, and would call me when she returned in two weeks. (DUH) After that I added a 10.00 per day storage fee for quilts left 7 days past the pick up date, to my work order.

Ironic, she is one of the only realtors around here, and needles to say we did not call her when we listed, plus we added her to the people not allowed to show our home... PAY BACK:D:D:D:D Oh yeah two days on the market and we are under contract!!!!!Jacque

My dear friend saw the Vintage Valentine quilt hanging in a store. http://www.thevintagespool.com/store/products/details/?product=102 She begged me to make it for her. I tried to persuade her to do the needle turn applique herself and then I would be happy to quilt it for her. Not happening, she's not a sewer. So I finally caved and agreed to make it.

At the time my needle turn applique skills were awful. Well, that was maybe 5 years ago. I'm about half way through the blocks. Needless to say, after finishing the first block my skill level was much improved.

But still, what was I thinking? I just pray that she'll still be around to enjoy it when it's finished, in another few years!!

Archived