Civil War Tribute Quilt

Definitely custom. There are lots of blocks that are the same, so I would treat each one of them the same. But a different design for each differetn block.

I'd say go with wreaths in each block, feathers maybe, depending on who the recipient is.

Crosshatching around the medallion star to set it apart from the outer blocks, but feathers internally. Even crosshatch the outer border.

Lyn

I told her that historically it probably would have been quilted in a baptist fan or an all over large crosshatch as it is busy fabric and it would be hard to see anything. She told me that she wanted it to be very pretty as she spent a year putting it together so she does want custom, I told her I think that I will put in feathered wreaths in areas where I could and then cc the triangles/squares... using an off white thread that would show up on the darker blocks. It does have lots of possibilites but wanted some input too...it is very large and busy!

Vicki,

I'd probably do a lot of straight line work. I don't know that I'd do cc's only because it doesn't really fit the period. If she doesn't care about that then they would be beautiful and add lots of movement. Feathers and cables would be nice. Definitely SID, echo and cross hatching. Lots of possibilities just depending on who it is going to. If it is a mail I'd probably not do too many feathers. If it is a girl I'd do feathers. Have fun with it.

I actually made that quilt and I did R&S Baptist fan on it. It was stunning if I may say so myself...I'm not worthy to do custom yet...can't make up my darn mind on what to do ever. But the baptist fan is beautiful on this quilt. I know my guild gals really liked it.

I was reading your second post about doing CC's in the half square triangles...do you realize how many there are in this quilt??? Does she have a big budget for your quilting??? I know I was half square triangled out when I got done piecing that one.

You can see that the quilt is so busy...it really doesn't show the quilting all that much...but the back is really cool. So, wouldn't waste a lot of time custom quilting this quilt. The baptist fan really fits the era of the quilt. And on a bed the the texture of the fan really shows up better.

post--13461905599739_thumb.jpg

I'm working on one right now and it is a very detailed custom job. I started it over a week ago, but do to working full time, I am only on the second row...still a very long way to go.

I'm doing feathers, feather wreaths, CC, cross hatch, curved cross hatch, etc. The blocks that are the same, I am quilting the same way. I'm trying to do some of the elements the same in each block, but do something a bit different in them, too.

I estimated that it will take me at least 60 hours (but so far I have always underestimated my time).

Robin,

Thanks for the pictures....I have googled that quilt to send a pic to the customer and can't find anything on line. I think you did a fantastic job and I really like how the BF looks! What did you use to quilt it? CL or a panto? Or something else?

Do you mind if I share your pictures with my customer to show her how the BF would look?

Vicki

I'm kinda digging the BF. That looks great and I agree the quilt is soooo busy a lot of detailed custom might get lost. I like Heidi's idea of straight line work if you go the custom route. I think I'd SID everything (I love to SID. So zen.) and again like Heidi, ruler work and put some feathers or cables or piano keys on the borders, and in any larger spaces in the middle. PLEASE don't forget to post pictures when you're done. I'd love to see it finished!

Vicki,

I used the R & S Baptist Fan Boards, I'm pretty sure they are the #305 Board. The fans blades are one inch apart and there is only one full blade and then a partial on the boards (vertically I mean). I haven't had my Diet Coke yet so I am a little sluggish! I will try to get another picture of the quilt on a bed for you as I think that really will give a better view of how pretty the texture of the fan is on this quilt. Have to do chores first, but will put one on later.

Pamela,

You have to be like me "custom challenged" and then you would not have even considered doing custom on that quilt! Plus, after you piece a quilt like that, you do not even want to look at the half square triangles again much less quilt CC's in every one of them!

Archived