What type of camera for the best photos of quilting?

Here is my question to the group...What type of camera do you use or recommend for the best photos of quilting?

Our Cannon is about to die... Even new batteries do not help. So you can see why I am asking the question. Right now I am trying to use the camera in my Blackberry and not really pleased with the quality of close ups.

We use hubby's Canon Rebel to get the better pictures for my quilts. I'm not a pro, though so they are only for my purposes. I have a small pocket sized digital that does a decent job, but it is harder to get good focus when you want to get closer or the full quilt. His Rebel was under $400 about 3 years ago. Mine was about $120.

I bought a Cannon Rebel last year and I love it. I had great excuses for a new camera....My first grandchild was born in May, we visited Finland in July and I always take pictures of quilts. I'm also known as the family paparazzi.

Seriously, this camera has so many functions and I've found it easy to learn and it takes great pictures.

Wendy

Guest Linda S

Canon makes a great camera. If you intend to submit pics on disc to a quilt show, it used to be that the camera had to be over 4 megapixels. Might be higher by now. I had a couple of Nikons that were okay, but about a year and a half ago, I bought a Pentax Digital SLR. I bought the camera because it had advanced anti-shake technology, and I have ET (essential tremor) which can blur a picture in a hot second. Other than some initial frustration with shooting pics in RAW mode (pre-formats them to about 36" x 28") and converting them with the software, I absolutely love this camera. I think Canon may be a bit more user friendly.

I know this has been discussed many times, check the older messages also. I have another question, I want to get one of those photographers backdrop stand to hang my quilts for photos but I'm not sure what brand is sturdy enough for the quilt's weight, any suggestions?

Archived