t-shirt quilts

I am going to quilt my first t-shirt quilt. The t-shirts are new, never been washed with a very heavy screen print on them. What are my needles holes going to look like? I do not have a sample tshirt to practice on and wondering if the holes are going to be large and ugly?

I have done several T-Shit quilts, just go slow over the heavy screen print. I use monolon thread on the ones I have done. If it is a large area of solid screen print, you will see the holes. But I didn't consider the ugly, if you are freehanding it you can sometimes, go on a line or something, it varies by T-Shirt. The puffy stuff is the worse and I avoid going thru that.

Will be interested to see what everyone else says.

Shirley

I agree with Sylvia. I do T-shirt quilts often (especially this time of year) and quilt through everything. When I am presented with new shirts I do give the customer the option of washing them or I will wash and dry them for a charge. This makes me feel better, knowing that any excess dye has been removed before I make the quilt, and hopefully avoid a problem with the finished product.

In re-reading your post I see that you are only doing the quilting. I make the tops and do the quilting. Good luck on your first one!

Ditto with Sylvia and DOwens. Just go slow and quilt right through it all. I also use any kind of thread except monolon. I wrapped a bunch of that stuff up inside my domenstic machine and had to have it repaired. I don't want to go there with my longarm!

I'm quilting my first t-shirt quilt too...with monolon. It keeps breaking and making me crazy. However, it is probably operator error...

I'm not stitching through the really thick stuff and I have a 4.0 needle in. I may try switching if the thread keeps breaking.

Archived