Double Batt Help / Circle Lord

I need advice. I'm doing a full size quilt that my husband wanted double poly batting in. Both layers are Hobbs. I've been using a Circle Lord template - 7 Treasures. Normally, everything is smooth, but I keep getting really long stitches at random intervals.

What I've done so far.

1. Brand new size 18 needle.

2. Checked encoders

3. Turned machine on/off

4. Adjusted tensions - they seem really balanced now.

5. Cleaned bobbin case.

Not sure what's going on - any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,

Julie

I bet Heidi's right. If you have any drag when moving your machine across the quilt, then you probably need to raise your hopping foot.

If you had already raised it, then you might have raised it too high. The hopping foot needs to almost touch the throat plate on it's down cycle to make an accurate stitch.

I think a dime should just be able to fit under the foot for thick batting. Whereas with thinner batting, it's a business card folded in half (or 2 cards).

For 2 polys I remove one of the washers under my plate - it's easier than adjusting the hopping foot - but that is what you need to do. The quilt needs more room with the dbl batt. Good Luck.

I did 2 wool blankets (one top, one bottom) with 2 Hobbs batts. Slow and easy - with a washer removed - and it went pretty well. Guy wanted a really warm blanket. What we see....

I've loosened the back tension and really slowed down and so far, so good. I'm in the midst of looking up how to raise/lower the hopping foot. I learn something new all the time on here.

By the way, I now have the dear husband doing the template! Figured if he wants all this batting he can make part of it...and the man is always hot so why he wants double batting is beyond me. ;)

Archived