thread weights?

I like using Superior Thread. I love King Tut because it shows up and quilts so nicely on my LA. I also use So Fine and Bottom Line. But when I have used those two individually or together--sometimes I have a lot of stitch breakage or tension problems.

I think my problem is not using the right weights of thread with each other. Can somebody explain what weight goes on top and what should go in the bobbin. Thanks for your help.

I always use King Tut.........well, not ALWAYS, but a lot. I have no problems with So Fine or Bottom Line in the bobbin. Don't be afraid to tweak that tension! I run King Tut with the knob almost flush with the screw. And the bobbin kind of loose for So Fine, a teeny tighter for Bottom Line.

Not so surprisingly, same thread top and bottom makes for a happy machine. So, King Tut with the same weight thread works well. Most don't want to spring for Tut top and bottom because of the expense--and unless you want a reversible quilt.

It is just a matter of learning what works and adjusting your tension to run other threads in the bobbin. Bottom line was developed for running in the bobbin, but works well either place. I use BL prewounds with everything and am also very happy with Magna-Glide pre-wounds.

Only thing I haven't tried is thin on top and heavy on the bottom. (hey--that sounds like a description of my sweet DMIL!:P:P:P)

I run so fine or bottomline most often in the bobbin. Rainbows or so fine on top most often. Linda is right...tweak that tension until you get the results you want. I have even run polyquilter 19 wt thread with so fine in the bobbin. Where there is a will..there is a way. For those heavy threads..i find using a thicker batting helps too. It helps get the balance between the threads just right.

Guest Linda S

There are no quilt police -- you use whatever thread you want on the top or the bottom - you just have to figure out how to set your tension to make each combination run smoothly. I use Fil-Tec's magnetic bobbins (Magna-Glide or Magna Quilt) and that takes a whole lot of aggravation out of the tension equation.

Archived