level throat plate with table

Do any of you that own a George have a minor bump between the throat plate on George with the top of the plexi insert? I'm about ready to have my husband make me 4 spacers in place of the washer piles to get the throat plate a smooth level with the table top. Normally it is not a problem, but last night as I was finishing the final border I noticed that with every "back to the center" swoop of a large feather the movement would push a very small tuck to the sid of the previous border. The rest of the backing was held well (mostly!) with all the other quilting, but at the edge there is just not enough to hold it secure and that bump would create a hesitation with my hand.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Hi Madelyn:

My George came with 2 washers for each of the throat plate screws. I made my throat plate much more level by adding more washers...I have 4 thin ones under each screw now. You MAY have to adjust the height of your foot but a smoother edge is worth it. Let us know how you handle it. Best, Nancy in Tucson

Thanks, Nancy,

So far I have added another washer under each screw. I have finished the quilting on my latest quilt (just need to bind it now, then pictures will come). I will be quilting a baby quilt for a friend, but it is very thin warm and natural style batting. Then I will have another baby quilt with a thicker batt so will see if the foot needs adjusting then, it hasn't been a problem with that yet.

I found this to be a problem when I was quilting a smaller quilt and was quilting near the edge of the quilt. It's like the quilt would get stuck and wouldn't move smoothly. I added another washer all the way around and this helped that problem, but when I went on to quilt another quilt with thicker batting, the extra washer was too much and I needed to remove it.

If you guys want I think metal shops and or farm & Barn/ hardware stores carry machine washers in various sizes from very thin to pretty thick. Maybe investing in a set for your applications and coloring them with a marker to match the thickness/batting might help.

Just some thoughts from the bug LOL ---grasshopper.

Archived