Quilting ideas needed

I have this top to quilt and I would like any ideas you might have. I don't do freehand feathers very well, which is what I would like to do. I'm open to any ideas. A friend asked me to quilt this wedding gift for a neice in law. I've decided to use white thread throughout; I don't do thread changes yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails, guess what it will have on it? Trying for a pic.

post--13461905862832_thumb.jpg

What a pretty quilt! You could do a medium-density paisley filler in the white areas, and then maybe a flower around the paisley for the colored areas.

You could also put a gently curving spine in the white area with anything off of it - it could be curls coming out - or try hooked feathers if you are concerned about back tracking That is how I started my feathers and I haven't looked back. Sally Terry's Hooked on Feathers is a good reference, and Sue Patten has some great ideas to come off of spines-you could do an organic feather that you don't have to back track. You can even do leaves off a spine if you like leaves!

Sue Patton also has some feather stencils that are cool and would fit the area if you don't mind marking. They are larger so would cover a good area. Her stencils are available on the same web site Heidi had gotten the stencil from for her oriental quilt she just posted.

I just took some workshops with Sue Patten, so those are fresh in my mind!

Good Luck - you will do a great job. Looking forward to seeing it done!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Designs

I like the cc's in the smaller squares, maybe lines in the larger L's and then I'll bet you could do feathers in those larger white and pink areas, just sit down and practice with some paper for a few hours, I'll bet you get the hang of it! Put a scrap of muslin in and practice and then you will be able to do them. And the scariest thing will be the first one you do on a quilt, after that, you'll feel more confident as you know you can do it!

Archived